Carb sync gauges to avoid??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb sync gauges to avoid??

Ok, so rather than ask what gauge set is best to sync my carbs with, I'm gonna ask "Is there a set of gauges I should all out hands down avoid?" Not looking to spend a Benji for a tool I might only use twice a decade, but I'd like quality with predictible results-no aerospace accuracy needed. Any proper fitments of the accessories of course! All suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    '78 GS750E (currently undergoing TLC).

If you are thinking you'll only use it twice a decade then I am assuming you don't intend to ride much at all? You'll need to use it every time you do a valve adjustment which is every 4000 miles. That could be at least once a year if you do a lot of riding or longer if not. You may also want to do it to troubleshoot issues like what I was going through.

Save yourself the future heartaches and buy a Morgan Carbtune - with the exchange rate today, it's about $100. It's very simple to use and comes with its own case. Get the adjustment tool too you'll be set.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I got the Motion Pro.
      And after a couple years or more the fluid all dried up.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Yep, the Morgan Carbtune is the bee's knees. The rest aren't worth bothering with.

Some folks have tried making their own. In every case I'm aware of it's mostly a waste of time and a great way to slurp ATF or water into your engine. The money you'll spend on tubing would be better put toward a Carbtune, and the time you'll waste would be better spent earning a few bucks to buy a Carbtune.

And those gawdawful cheap dial gauges you'll find on fleaBay... no. Just no. COMPLETE waste of money, time, and space. Put the $50 into a jar and save up your pennies until you can get a Morgan.

If you're really caught that short (it's a fact of life: motorcycles cost money) perhaps you can join forces with a couple of other local riders. Pretty much every two, three, or four cylinder motorcycle needs synchronizing, so most of your pals with a two-wheeler will have the same needs and might be willing to chip in.
        Last edited by bwringer; 09-02-2019, 08:17 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have a few here to choose from:
          Mercury 'sticks' with 6 columns.
          Motion Pro with the blue fluid.
          Suzuki OEM gauge with the balls.
          Morgan Carbtune II.

I started with the mercury sticks 40 years ago. I got the 6-column version because I had a KZ1300. Nice, easy to use, accurate, but uses a rather toxic element, which requires EXTREME care during use.

I got the Motion Pro unit about 15 years ago. It was used and empty. I got replacement fluid, found that two of the columns leaked. Attempted a repair, managed to get one of them sealed up, but it required a second purchase of replacement fluid to find out.

I got the Suzuki gauge about 8 or 10 years ago from a member that was selling his. I used it to determine how much the "half a ball difference" was, and really haven't used it since then.

I got the Morgan Carbtune about 5 years ago. Very easy to use, accurate when used correctly, reasonably rugged, but it does require a bit of common sense in its care.

I have used, but do not own (and probably never will), a set of dial gauges. Just way too awkward to use, especially since you have to verify calibration every time you use them.

I have multiple bikes here, so I use the gauges a bit more than most. I also work on bikes for others, so they are used even more. While in my shop, I still prefer the mercury sticks, but if I ever have to travel to work on a bike, it's the Carbtune in my tool box.

Save your pennies, skip a Starbucks or two, you will soon have enough to get your own Carbtune.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you all for setting me straight Seeing as I only have the one bike the gauges will get little demand. Currently the Carbtune is for around $139 shipped. Ouch!! And I dispise Starbucks
            for creating an addicted, self-loathing society that must have indulgence at every 1/4 mile. Home & Family come first; Carbtune and a worthy ride will just have to wait. Besides, Summer is officially over *sigh*.

Thanks again
            Last edited by 748cc; 09-03-2019, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 748cc View Post
              Currently the Carbtune is for around $139 shipped. Ouch!!
              I don't know where you are shopping, but I hope they are at least kissing you while they are raping you.
              Please share the source that you almost considered.

Order a Carbtune DIRECT. Click HERE, you will see that it is 73 GBP for a Carbtune and carrying case. Click the link on that page for currency conversion, you will see that today, it is $87.5875 USD.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I just ordered a CarbTune direct. I will call it a Brexit sale, as it was $88 shipped! Can't beat that price. I need to replace my MotionPro mercury sticks as it doesn't have enough mercury to sync my GSF1200S, I have to keep shutting the motor and restarting to get the air out of the tubes. Hopefully the CarbTune is as good as everyone says it is.
                1981 Suzuki GS250T
                1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                1985 Suzuki GS550E
                2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Dang, Steve-That IS a great price!! I merely pulled up a google search & about three resources popped up all at around $138...most likely amazon come ons. With that I snuffed the idea, thinking the exchange rate was what suffered.. Didn't realize you could order direct! This I think I could swing. Thank You, Steve!! My colon thanks you too ��

Comment

When you order yours see if they include this special instruction with the emailed invoice.

"DO NOT SUCK CARBTUNE WITH YOUR MOUTH"

I did not have any plans to do this.....then I started to wonder if Morgan put that because I am in California.
                    1981 Suzuki GS250T
                    1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                    1985 Suzuki GS550E
                    2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

I just used my carbtune for the first time last night... worked great at determining that the bench sync got things close enough so I didn't have to do anything but put everything back together - lol - maybe a 1/4" difference from the highest to lowest.
                      Would have saved me a lot of trouble if they included those instructions with mine.
                      -1980 GS1100 LT
                      -1975 Honda cb750K
                      -1972 Honda cl175
                      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

never experienced it. but this is a very interesting discussion to follow

Comment

I like my carbtune but don't like the little plastic connectors. Buy the motion pro brass connectors and then you have a good setup. They make getting to the inside cylinders easy.

Comment

Well, I took the plunge & ordered one. The exchange ticked up slightly since Steve posted, but still got it out the door at under $90. Now learning that the adapters are nylon/plastic? That's kinda bummersville (all their pics show brass-bit of a mis-lead). They now include the toolpouch thou, so . . . I'll be easy on the adapters I guess. On a side note:

Does anyone know the thread pitch of the vacuum plug screws, or better yet, are they the same as that of the float bowl drain plugs? It'd be nice to dual-purpose the Carbtune adapters for float height checks, and if the threads match that'll pursuede me into buying Z1/Motion Pro brass adapters for sure.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure this applies on your bike's VM carbs, but:

On CV carbs these are different diameters; the vacuum plugs are 5mm, normal .80mm pitch. (Again, please verify this on your actual bike. I seem to recall VMs use the same thread, but it's been a while...)

The carb drain plugs are 6mm, but an oddball fine pitch; I can't remember offhand the thread pitch used on these, but I suppose someone will be along soon who does know.

The plastic adapters work fine, but it can be hard to grab hold of them. You can add a short piece of tubing to help reach and thread them in. The brass ones from Motion Pro are longer and somewhat easier to grab, so that's what I typically use.

They're pretty cheap, less than $9 for a set.

MP also sells brass adapters that you could leave in place; the trouble here is that the crappy rubber caps they supply quickly deteriorate and fall off.

I don't know of a source for rubber caps that can actually last, but you could just add higher-quality tubing (you'd need to use something that can tolerate fuel and heat) and cap the tubing.
                              Last edited by bwringer; 09-07-2019, 09:13 AM.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                              X