Carb sync gauges to avoid??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
    On CV carbs these are different diameters; the vacuum plugs are 5mm, normal .80mm pitch.
    It's the same on all GSes, regardless of carb type.

The carb drain plugs are 6mm, but an oddball fine pitch; I can't remember offhand the thread pitch used on these, but I suppose someone will be along soon who does know.
    The bowl drains are M6 x 0.8. That is the standard "fine pitch" for M6. I need to order one of those taps. I have an M6 x 0.5 tap for chasing threads on the pilot screw, but it does not work for the drain screws.

The plastic adapters work fine, but it can be hard to grab hold of them. You can add a short piece of tubing to help reach and thread them in. The brass ones from Motion Pro are longer and somewhat easier to grab, so that's what I typically use.
    I have heard that the reason the Carbtune uses the nylon adapters is to minimze the possibility of cross-threading the ports. I got my Carbtune used, and it came without adapters. Fortunately, I have some brass adapters for my mercury sticks, so there ws no problem.

MP also sells brass adapters that you could leave in place; the trouble here is that the crappy rubber caps they supply quickly deteriorate and fall off.
    I don't know if they are the same thing, but I got some of those 'permanent' adapters from Z1. I installed them on my bike, then went for a ride. When I stopped for a break, I noticed that it was running a bit rough. I looked at the engine and saw that one of the caps was missing. I had some electrical tape in the trunk, so I covered the port and went to an auto parts store to get a vacuum port cap assortment. The next morning, I started the bike. While it was warming up, it did its usual hiccup back through the carb and I watched another cap disappear. I went through the selection of caps to install the absolutely TIGHTEST fitting ones. They got spit off, too. If your bike absolutely NEVER spits back during warm-up, the permanent adapters might work, but I removed them from my bike about a day after I installed them.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

"The bowl drains are M6 x 0.8. That is the standard "fine pitch" for M6."

I was assuming the drains were M6x0.75 due to another thread related to the plugs...need to confirm as I try sourcing some nipples. Nonetheless, if the adapters don't work there then so be it. Thanks again guys for everything!
      '78 GS750E (currently undergoing TLC).

Comment

I’ll check the thread pitch again.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I based my thoughts on post no.3 of this thread:

https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?222912-Float-bowl-drain-and-fuel-height-level-adapter

Comment

OK, I have checked a drain plug. I did not get a picture, but my 0.75 gauge did not fit.

I'm having a bit of difficulty trying to match up a 0.8 gauge because Harbor Freight strikes again.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I'm having a bit of difficulty trying to match up a 0.8 gauge because Harbor Freight strikes again.
              Yeah, but look at the bright side. They probably sent you a coupon for $1 off a five-foot tape measure.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Hard to get $1 off when it's already free.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Yeah, but you had to purchase the faulty thread gauge in order to get the free tape measure . . . see how it works? It's their apology to the skunked consumer.

Comment

Originally posted by TowPilot View Post
                    I like my carbtune but don't like the little plastic connectors. Buy the motion pro brass connectors and then you have a good setup. They make getting to the inside cylinders easy.
                    Mine came with brass connectors.... I don’t know why they vary on that.
                    -1980 GS1100 LT
                    -1975 Honda cb750K
                    -1972 Honda cl175
                    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      OK, I have checked a drain plug. I did not get a picture, but my 0.75 gauge did not fit.

It IS 6 x 0.75
                      1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
                      1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
                      1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

I'd have to wonder how accurate the HF's gauges are at this point... consider throwing them away (in fact dismantling them) and buying a quality set, Steve...for your own sanity . I should locate a set for myself soon. Starret would be best, no??
                        Last edited by 748cc; 09-09-2019, 06:34 PM. Reason: speeling

Comment

20190909_185304.jpg

Got mine today, less than a week from Belfast to Los Angeles.
                          Oh mine came with brass adapters
                          1981 Suzuki GS250T
                          1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                          1985 Suzuki GS550E
                          2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Working...
                          X