1979 gs750 idles but high revs to get it moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 gs750 idles but high revs to get it moving

Good evening! I just got my carbs back in and set the fuel and air screws. It will start and idle without choking it. Problem is you have to get the rpms way up there to get it to move as it really bugs down. Do I turn the fuel screws out more?

Wait for Steve or some of the other carb experts to chime in, but what about jets? And intake and exhaust?

And remember, make only one carb adjustment at a time.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

OK, you "set the air and fuel screws". To what values?

Sounds like you might be way too rich, partly because you can start without the "choke".

Any mods to the bike? Stock intake or pods? Stock exhaust or a header?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The bike has pods. I bought it as a non runner with the pods on it. I rebuilt the carbs and cleaned all the passags. A

Comment

OK, you bought it as a "non-runner", it's still a "non-runner", that's not much improvement.

Still looking for answers to the rest of the questions.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

The bike has pods and I rebuilt the carb. The air and fuel screws are at about 2 1/2 turns out each carb.

Comment

The bike has pods and I rebuilt the carb. The air and fuel screws are at about 2 1/2 turns out each carb. Carbs were torn down and cleaned.

Comment

While you had the carbs apart did you make a note of what size jets (pilot & main) you have?
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

You might want to check the Newbie Mistakes thread as linked in my signature to see if anything applies.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Since you keep emphasizing that it has pods and don't mention anything about the exhaust, I am forced to assume that it is still stock.
                    If you do have non-stock exhaust, ignore the following paragraph, as it will not apply.

With pods, the fuel screws (the ones on the bottom) should be out about 7/8 turn from lightly seated. After they are set, you should not have to touch them. The general rule of thumb for the air screws is double the fuel screw setting, but I usually start with a bit less, to provide a richer mixture for easier starting. When the bike is warmed up enough to run without the "choke", adjust the idle speed to about 1100. Slowly turn the air screw on #1 out. You should hear the engine speed up just a bit as the mixture gets a little leaner, into its 'happy' zone. As you continue turning the screw out, the mixture will get too lean and the engine will start slowing down. Turn the screw back in about 1/8 turn, move to the next carb. Note that each carb may up with a slightly different setting, so don't just do one carb then set them all to that.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

I did but dont recall the sizes now. I know the idle jets I got with the carb kit were smaller then what was in the bike. I ⁸⁷.⁶ up cleaning the old ones and putting them back as the dbike wouldn't even run with the new jets. I am going to lean out the fuel and see if that makes the difference

Comment

The bike has hrley mufflers on it. It sounds like the baffles are
                        Thank you for the info!

Comment

I have to apologize for my repeat posts. I was half asleep when I was on here last night. To sum up the bike has Harley mufflers on it, pod filters and no air box, I have put in new carb kits as well. If I lightly seat the fuel jets then turn them out a full turn the bike wont even start.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief771 View Post
                            To sum up the bike has Harley mufflers on it, pod filters and no air box, I have put in new carb kits as well. If I lightly seat the fuel jets then turn them out a full turn the bike wont even start.
                            What is a "fuel jet"? Please do some research and use the proper terminology otherwise it's difficult for us to offer meaningful help. To most of us the "jets" are the main and pilot, and these are not adjustable.

Oh, and you will need a rejet for the pod air filters. I'm not a jetting guy but I do know you will have to move the main jets at least 3 steps richer for a start. Trying to tune the carbs by tweaking the pilot screws is not going to solve the problem at this point and is pretty much a waste of time. Again, read the Newbie Mistakes thread for info such as this.

Last edited by Nessism; 09-22-2019, 09:55 AM.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                            X