Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VM Carb rebuild questions: Storing rebuilt carbs? Replacement fuel T/tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM Carb rebuild questions: Storing rebuilt carbs? Replacement fuel T/tubes?

I've finally gotten around to tinkering on my 77 GS750 cafe project. I don't really have the space to do major work right now, so I decided to work on a few of the small things that need to be done.

My first question is regarding carb storage after a rebuild. I will follow the VM tutorial and order the O rings. Once I'm done, can I store the carbs dry for a couple years without having to rebuild them again before installing them? It'll probably be a year or two before I'm ready to start this bike, so I wanted to make sure I can have the carbs rebuilt on the shelf ready to go when that day comes. I wouldn't think there would be an issue storing them dry after a rebuild, but thought I'd check just in case.

Concerning the fuel tubes and T between the carbs, are the ones on Z1 Enterprises OK? I don't know if I will need them yet, but I've read concern about obtaining these parts for some bikes. According to the website, they fit my bike, but I wanted to double check. Here's the links to the tubes: https://www.z1enterprises.com/fuel-p...-200-1026.html

Thanks guys.
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Be sure to lubricate the o-rings when you install them and assemble the carbs.

Storing them freshly-rebuilt and dry should be no problem.

Virtually all the problems with carbs are from gummed-up fuel, so if you don't add fuel, you won't add problems.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Virtually all the problems with carbs are from gummed-up fuel, so if you don't add fuel, you won't add problems.

That's what I was thinking.

What do you normally lube the o-rings with?
      - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

I use a very small amount of 3-in-1 on each one
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
          What do you normally lube the o-rings with?
          If i foresee to store rebuilt carbs, brake cylinders, calipers for some time : acid-free white vaseline. Best way i know of to keep the rubbers from deteriorating.
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

There's actually an O ring specific lube
            It's red, sticky and a small container is a lifetime supply. My British car friend has it

I use silicone grease. You can find it in small packets
            at any auto parts store
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Very good info! Thanks Steve.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

It is probably a good idea to use something on the rubber parts when assembling anyway, but on the '84 750EF I put back on the road a few years ago the carbs were in perfect condition with no leaks at all after a 17 year hiatus. They were properly drained when the bike was parked ...that was all. So a couple of years on the shelf should not be a problem as long as you do replace the crappy stock rubber T's.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

I started disassembling the carbs and I have the fuel T and tubes that use O-rings, so I shouldn't have to purchase new ones.

However, I ran into so damaged/missing components so I need some help locating replacements.

- I need: choke plunger, choke plunger plastic sleeve, Choke plunger lever.
                  - I need to purchase the rubber throttle shaft grommets for carb bodies.

If anyone has these parts or a spare rack of 77-79 GS750 VM carbs they'd sell to me for a fair price, OR know where I can get all these parts without robbing the bank, PLEASE let me know!

Thanks guys.

Comment

If I can't find the parts I need, short if buying a new set of carbs, can I reuse scored choke plungers? So far one is really messed up and the others are scored.

Here's some pictures of the damage.

This is the worst one.

What do you guys think?
                    Last edited by 93Bandit; 09-29-2019, 07:10 PM. Reason: Added pictures

Comment

I'd start with a Scotchbrite and polish them
                      If that doesn't smooth them, polish with Emery cloth

The important part is the tip and seal

The bores they go into, what do they look like?
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I'd get new-used parts. Easy to find on ebay.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          I'd start with a Scotchbrite and polish them
                          If that doesn't smooth them, polish with Emery cloth

The important part is the tip and seal

The bores they go into, what do they look like?
                          As best as I can tell, the bores look ok for the most part.

Fortunately a member here has been kind enough to send me some extra choke parts he had. They should do the trick assuming I can get the carb bodies clean enough.

Does anyone know any tricks to get dirt out of the small passageways inside the carb body? I've only had time to clean one body so far, and I soaked it in carbdip for a few hours then used a can of carb cleaner trying to get the passages cleared, but there's still fine dirt inside. It looks like mud-dobbers lived in these carbs. They're FULL of dried mud...

Comment

If the passage is completely blocked it's hard for the carb dip to reach through the entire passage. I'd blast compressed air and carb cleaner, both directions, through each passage. If you can get the passage at least part way clear the carb dip can then get through and soak the rest of the grunge loose. Sometimes it takes more than once cycle of dipping and blasting before the bodies are properly clean.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              If the passage is completely blocked it's hard for the carb dip to reach through the entire passage. I'd blast compressed air and carb cleaner, both directions, through each passage. If you can get the passage at least part way clear the carb dip can then get through and soak the rest of the grunge loose. Sometimes it takes more than once cycle of dipping and blasting before the bodies are properly clean.
                              That's what I was figuring I had to do, but I was hoping someone had an easy button for me lol.

Looks like I'll be cleaning these for a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X