Winter fuel stabilizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter fuel stabilizer

If I'm charging and starting them weekly over the winter (they're in a heated garage), fuel stabilizer is still called for, correct? One jar per tank? A tank might last a few months.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

No need to start it weekly ,unless you get lonely. I use 1 ounce of the blue Stabil per 4 gallons gas , run it in on my last ride and say goodbye till winter appears over. I've never had an issue after 4 to 5 months of waiting for spring.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Um, read the container for dosage? No need to start and run the bike. Just causes condensation to form.

You might want to read the owners manual for your bike. Information about storage is contained within.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Personally, I use double the dose. No particular reason, but that's what I have always done.

Probably not a good idea to keep the charger(s) on all the time. Maybe overnight, once a month to top them off.

And your neighbors will probably like you better if you DON'T start them once a week. It has been posted MANY times, virtually every year about this time about the problems caused by intermittent operation.

Your bikes, your money, your call, but you did ask for opinions.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Like Steve, a double dose of stabilizer, pull the battery and store the battery in a heated area with other batteries and park it and forget it unless there are repair items that need done. Rotate the battery tender between stored batteries when I remember.
          Last edited by Sandy; 11-09-2019, 10:38 PM.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
          https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            No need to start it weekly ,unless you get lonely. I use 1 ounce of the blue Stabil per 4 gallons gas , run it in on my last ride and say goodbye till winter appears over. I've never had an issue after 4 to 5 months of waiting for spring.
            Sad but true, I do get lonely for the bikes.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Personally, I use double the dose. No particular reason, but that's what I have always done.

Probably not a good idea to keep the charger(s) on all the time. Maybe overnight, once a month to top them off.

And your neighbors will probably like you better if you DON'T start them once a week. It has been posted MANY times, virtually every year about this time about the problems caused by intermittent operation.
            Double dose? I heard that. Like Bob Weir sings, "Too much of everything is just enough."

Chargers are on maybe twice a month, and as soon as they show charged, I quietly roll up my two extra long extension cords, pack up the charger and make a quiet getaway. This is all done between midnight and 5 AM - it probably violates some building rule or another.

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
            Like Steve, a double dose of stabilizer, pull the battery and storage the battery in a heated area with other batteries and park it and forget it unless their are repair items that need done. Rotate the battery tender between stored batteries when I remember.
            I haven't tried it since the carbs were rebuilt and cleaned, but before then if the Suzi sat for more than two weeks, it was very hard to start.

I don't 'store' them though. I don't ride very much, but I do ride every month of the year. Past two weeks it was in the 50's, I just wasn't in the mood. Now it's 32 degrees out and I'm dying for a ride.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

i put stabilizer in year round unless i'm traveling
              GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

The Murphy station by me sells non ethanol 87 fuel for $2.80 a gallon. I just put a little stabilizer in the tanks.
                2016 Ducati 1299s
                1989 BMW K100RS
                1982 GS1100E-current build
                1980 GS1000E-sold
                1982 GS1100L-sold
                1982 CX500-sold

Comment

Try as I might, I can't find a single source for non-ethanol fuel in the entire Big Apple. When I finally score some, I'll quickly find myself in bracelets with some kid one third my age saying, "Don't bump your head, sir."

On the bright side, I can't remember the last time I had three hot meals in a single day.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    Try as I might, I can't find a single source for non-ethanol fuel in the entire Big Apple. When I finally score some, I'll quickly find myself in bracelets with some kid one third my age saying, "Don't bump your head, sir."

On the bright side, I can't remember the last time I had three hot meals in a single day.
                    Try an area down by the water where boats fill up, "rec gas" doesn't have ethanol in it.
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Try as I might, I can't find a single source for non-ethanol fuel in the entire Big Apple.
                      That reminds me...I need to run to the corner Weigel's and get some non-ethanol stuff for the lawn tractor...
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                        Try an area down by the water where boats fill up, "rec gas" doesn't have ethanol in it.
                        I live a block from the bay; sailboats, motorboats, they used to have a pump - no more.

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                        That reminds me...I need to run to the corner Weigel's and get some non-ethanol stuff for the lawn tractor...
                        Rub it in.

Comment

fwiw, i like the star-tron fuel treatment. And I also drain the winter's gas in the spring and replace with fresh. Unnecessary with the stabilizer in it, i guess, but it's part of my process and I DONT DEVIATE FROM THE PROCESS lelz
                          1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Rub it in.
                            No prob....

Just have to decide if I need 91, or 93 octane...or both.
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Oh do it right and get some JP-8.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X