Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question about fueling without a petcock (temporary)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question about fueling without a petcock (temporary)

It should be fine if i hook up a small reservoir of fuel with a hose to fill the carbs right? I'm assuming the bike would run for a short while if I fill the bowls doing this, and removing the reservoir?

Petcock is ordered, and I have to clean the fuel tank yet.

Thanks!

That's something you do when balancing the carbs, should work OK.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Welcome.

Create a signature with your Bike's year and model. Post some pics of your bike.

Tip on using the site's search function. Always go to Advanced. Always type a few key words in the search box. Always change to Search Titles Only.

On your question: Yes, plug the vacuum hose with a screw or other implement. This would be like running your petcock on Prime. What reservoir are you removing?
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, and the help guys! Updated my signature, and by reservoir i mean the temporary fuel "tank" (probably a bottle or something to hold the fuel) while i fill the bowls.

Kind of hard to find information about the bike I have, but I think the signature is ok?

Comment

I think the service manual is here http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...50_16valve.pdf

wiring diagram here. http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...atic_color.pdf
          The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
          1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
          past bikes. RF900
          TL1000s
          Hayabusa
          gsx 750f x2
          197cc Francis Barnett
          various British nails

Comment

No problem running the bike with an auxiliary tank.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by fbody_mike; 11-15-2019, 05:17 PM.
            1981 Suzuki GS250T
            1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
            1985 Suzuki GS550E
            2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Just note that if you have the tank as high as in the picture you are increasing fuel pressure (which may or may not make a difference....)

I generally just run a plastic extender into the fuel hose & a longer hose from the stock tank & sit it on the bench.... Nessism has a neat one made from some sewer pipe that sits propped against the handlebars...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I take the view that if the miserable few feet head of the workshop petrol tank overwhelms the needle valves, there's something wrong with them.
                ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Don't worry any additional pressure from the extra height in canceled out by the restrictive paper filter I have on the end of the line.

I need to the get a hospital style IV stand to hold my aux tank and manometer.
                  1981 Suzuki GS250T
                  1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                  1985 Suzuki GS550E
                  2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll try to make something work and see how it goes. Just wanted to see if the carbs would get flooded (new to CV carbs).

Comment

Working...
                    X