Carb EFI Conversion: VM or CV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb EFI Conversion: VM or CV?

I've been reading all the EFI conversion threads I've been able to find here, and haven't found one yet that has the complete process documented with a reliable running bike at the end. I know of a few folks who have completed the project, but I haven't seen documentation of their builds, just comments here and there. Most I've seen involved retrofitting EFI from a more modern bike to the GS.

I also came across a guy who makes CV carb EFI conversion kits.

Someday when I get my bikes finished, I've thought about trying to build an EFI setup for one of my GS's and document it here. I won't be another one of those people who start the build then never finish and members never know what happened. I won't start it unless I have the means to finish.

Anyways, if I follow through, I'd like to use a set of factory carbs to modify for EFI. That being the case, if it's possible, which version would make the most sense? In my very basic understanding of VM and CV operation, I'd think VM would be better suited since it doesn't rely on vacuum/airflow to operate the slide. The VM carbs are more "mechanical" in operation. Plus, I've got a set of VM carbs that are otherwise scrap, so perfect for the experiment.

I was thinking, all the fuel and air passages in the carb bodies could be plugged/blocked so that the carbs are essentially only a throttle body. I have quite worked out where I would introduce fuel, but I'm thinking of a custom intake boot/runner that is longer than OEM and has space for injectors to be tapped into, between the carb throttle bodies and the head.

I would try to keep the carbs as factory appearing as possible which is another reason I'd like to use the carbs for the conversion.

As I mentioned previously, I've got a complete spare 750 engine with junk VM carbs that I would build the EFI system around as proof of concept. Then, if it works, I'd install the system on a running bike for fine tuning. So I wouldn't be ruining a running bike while trying to get it to work. A running bike would only be done once I've proven the system works and can be installed on a bike.

Anyone care to provide input? Would my idea with using VM carbs and plugging them be possible? Any other thoughts? Any input is appreciated.
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Functionally, I don't think it would matter very much which carbs you used. The main reason for the slides in the BS carbs is to maintain airflow velocity over the jets to prevent the bogging that the VM carbs have when you open the throttle suddenly. If you have fuel injection with a mapping program that will compensate, you could epoxy the slides in the full-up position.

The main difference would come down to appearance and which bike they are going on. If you want to maintain a "stock" appearance, yhou would use VM carbs on '79 and older bikes, and BS carbs on '80 and newer bikes.

Your longer intake runners might not be noticed much by the average person (we GSers are MUCH better than average ), but what about the injectors you would attach to them?

Do the injectors have to be installed between the throttles and the engine? If not, how big are the injectors? Is there a chance the carb bodies can be drilled out on the bottom, to have the injector spraying UP, where the main jets and needles live?

I obviously have NO experience playing with injectors. I only know that they spray fuel when opened. I don't know if the spray can be directed at an angle or if it has to be inline with the injector body. I don't know if it's narrow enough or short enough to fit into the bottom half of a carb, but I do think the (now empty) float bowl would be a great hiding spot, if it fits.

If you need some BS carbs to play with, I have a few candidates.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not surprised you couldn't find examples of a successful post conversion. I'm sure there are some, because people have been doing it on old cars since the 90s.
      Problem is most new bike engine heads are designed for EFI with short intake runs with steep downhill angles. Very different from a GS with it's horizontal intake.
      Building a proper EFI system is only the first part of the conversion project. The long hard part is endless testing and programming a working fuel map.
      There needs to be an oxygen sensor located in the best place of the exhaust system.
      Starting from point 0, you got a long road ahead before you got a good thing going.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Functionally, I don't think it would matter very much which carbs you used. The main reason for the slides in the BS carbs is to maintain airflow velocity over the jets to prevent the bogging that the VM carbs have when you open the throttle suddenly. If you have fuel injection with a mapping program that will compensate, you could epoxy the slides in the full-up position.

The main difference would come down to appearance and which bike they are going on. If you want to maintain a "stock" appearance, yhou would use VM carbs on '79 and older bikes, and BS carbs on '80 and newer bikes.

Your longer intake runners might not be noticed much by the average person (we GSers are MUCH better than average ), but what about the injectors you would attach to them?

Do the injectors have to be installed between the throttles and the engine? If not, how big are the injectors? Is there a chance the carb bodies can be drilled out on the bottom, to have the injector spraying UP, where the main jets and needles live?

I obviously have NO experience playing with injectors. I only know that they spray fuel when opened. I don't know if the spray can be directed at an angle or if it has to be inline with the injector body. I don't know if it's narrow enough or short enough to fit into the bottom half of a carb, but I do think the (now empty) float bowl would be a great hiding spot, if it fits.

If you need some BS carbs to play with, I have a few candidates.

All your questions are the same I've asked myself and am pondering. As for stock appearance, hiding the injectors will be difficult. I'm not looking for a 100% stock appearance, I don't mind if some EFI components are visible. I just like the look of the carbs.

As for injector location, I've been wondering if I can place them vertical in the bowl so that they spray up through a port where the needle jet and jet needle are, but I'm not sure if that will be problematic when the slide is all the way down at idle, or if the 90 degree angle to go into the port will disrupt fuel atomization? Lots of unknowns.

Or, what if I built a type of "spider injection" similar to what GM used in the 90s? That way I'd only need 2 injectors and I could run a fuel nozzle to the area the main needle jet is in each carb. This option may allow me to place the injectors in a less visible location.

Another problem with using the carbs instead of throttle bodies is I'll have to rig up a TPS to the throttle shaft.

I have a few ideas, but all will take prototype builds to see if they'll work. I may take you up on that offer for the BS carbs. I may need to experiment on a couple different injector locations/setups to get something that works.
        Last edited by 93Bandit; 11-28-2019, 04:28 PM.
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

My working knowledge of EFI could be engraved on the head of a pin with a rusty shovel. The best option I can think of is to draw a deep breath, take sip of gas and spray it into the air box.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
            As for injector location, I've been wondering if I can place them vertical in the bowl so that they spray up through a port where the needle jet and jet needle are, but I'm not sure if that will be problematic when the slide is all the way down at idle, or if the 90 degree angle to go into the port will disrupt fuel atomization? Lots of unknowns.
            I mentioned earlier that the slides are there to maintain airflow velocity over the jets. With injectors, you do not need to maintain that velocity, as the mapping in the computer will inject the proper amount of fuel, so the slides are unnecessary. You could remove them and find a way to block the hole they sit in, or just raise them all the way and epoxy them in the up position.

If you decide to try this with BS carbs (the CV-type), I have some bodies I can donate for experimentation, as well as some slides with damaged diaphragms. The diaphragms won't be needed for the fuel injection, and it would be nice to save the ones you have.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

good info, may save some time/grief :

home made electronic fuel injection ( EFI )

Maybe you can buy a kit from Scheepers ?

This Motorcycle is an example for Carb to EFI Conversion by Scheepers-Motorsport.The old stock carburators have been removed and replaced by Mikuni throttle ...
              Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I mentioned earlier that the slides are there to maintain airflow velocity over the jets. With injectors, you do not need to maintain that velocity, as the mapping in the computer will inject the proper amount of fuel, so the slides are unnecessary. You could remove them and find a way to block the hole they sit in, or just raise them all the way and epoxy them in the up position.

If you decide to try this with BS carbs (the CV-type), I have some bodies I can donate for experimentation, as well as some slides with damaged diaphragms. The diaphragms won't be needed for the fuel injection, and it would be nice to save the ones you have.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm using VM carbs, wouldn't I have to keep the slides operational for throttle control? There aren't butterfly valves in VM carbs, only slides. So the slides would act as the butterfly valves, like in a conventional throttle body, correct? I understand the CV carbs could have the throttles fixed in the full-up position, because they have a butterfly valve. Or am I totally wrong?

I would gladly take any carb bodies and slides you have, as long as you don't mind them being "damaged." I think the most "damaging" experimentation will be any drilling modifications necessary for injector, or related component, mounting. I have some ideas but until I can look at a carb body and have an injector in-hand, I'm not sure what I'll need to drill or tap.

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                  good info, may save some time/grief :

home made electronic fuel injection ( EFI )

Maybe you can buy a kit from Scheepers ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mwTIadyhcY
                  I've spent a lot of time reading that first thread. I'm going to attempt to replicate some of the things he did, such as the trigger setup and some of the electronics. Otherwise, I'll be blazing a new trail with respect to the EFI hardware.

I'll have to check out the second link when I get to a computer.

Lastly, what's the fun in purchasing a kit? If it came down to that, I'd just buy an EFI bike. Also, like mentioned in the EFI thread you linked too, I'd like to build and document my project in such a way that it could be repeatable by anyone else who may be interested in converting their GS. I like to help others and it's always been a pet peeve of mine when someone asks a question on a forum, figures it out on their own but never posts the solution. Or just when I find a project thread that's going great and I want to do the same, but it comes to an abrupt end without any further information on progress or if it even worked. I understand it's often due to unpredictable life events, but if I can get a start on this, I'd like to see it to the end and document along the way for everyone's benefit.

Comment

i like the idea of EFI on an old GS, especially for a tuned bike.
                    Hiding the system in carb bodies like Triumph did, i like even better.

i met a guy some years ago, who built a working EFI for a Suzuki GT750.
                    Documented that pretty well online, too.
                    But the amount of money, effort and time he had to spend .. like the guy from that 2nd link i posted, is enough for me to not even try.

what's the fun in purchasing a kit ?
                    Well i have a souped up GS1000. If i could get that an extra handful of horses for an
                    acceptable amount of money/effort without the risk of blowing it up one or more times in the process, i would.

The current CR carbs work fine, and i will probably stick with those.
                    If i win the lottery, i will probably go for the Yoshi MJN's - expensive but probably the best improvement for carbs since they were invented.

I get the fun it gives to build something like this yourself.
                    I am not an engineer, and have limited time and money to invest in such a project.
                    But i have crazy respect for those that do, so should you decide to start that project i will
                    subscribe instantly.
                    Last edited by Rijko; 11-28-2019, 08:13 PM.
                    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                      i like the idea of EFI on an old GS, especially for a tuned bike.
                      Hiding the system in carb bodies like Triumph did, i like even better.

i met a guy some years ago, who built a working EFI for a Suzuki GT750.
                      Documented that pretty well online, too.
                      But the amount of money, effort and time he had to spend .. like the guy from that 2nd link i posted, is enough for me to not even try.

Well i have a souped up GS1000. If i could get that an extra handful of horses for an
                      acceptable amount of money/effort without the risk of blowing it up one or more times in the process, i would.

The current CR carbs work fine, and i will probably stick with those.
                      If i win the lottery, i will probably go for the Yoshi MJN's - expensive but probably the best improvement for carbs since they were invented.

I get the fun it gives to build something like this yourself.
                      I am not an engineer, and have limited time and money to invest in such a project.
                      But i have crazy respect for those that do, so should you decide to start that project i will
                      subscribe instantly.
                      I'd really like to start this build, but I've got other projects I need to finish first. Once those are complete, I do plan on making this the next project.

It would be great if I could hide the EFI components within the carbs, but I'm not too sure the carbs have the space, nor do I have the tool's or skills to accomplish that. But again, even if I could do those things, the average Joe who may be following along and want to duplicate my build on his bike may not be able to. So I want to keep it as simple and sleek as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                        Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm using VM carbs, wouldn't I have to keep the slides operational for throttle control? There aren't butterfly valves in VM carbs, only slides. So the slides would act as the butterfly valves, like in a conventional throttle body, correct? I understand the CV carbs could have the throttles fixed in the full-up position, because they have a butterfly valve. Or am I totally wrong?
                        You are mostly right.

You are correct that there are no butterfly valves in the VM carbs. The slides in them ARE the throttles. (This is why they are prone to bogging when opened suddenly, especially at low engine speeds.)

You are not quite so correct in your understanding of the CV-type BS carbs. (The "CV" is a construction type, not a model or manufacturer.) The slides are NOT the throttles, they are basically a variable venturi system. The butterfly valves are the throttle system.

It's possible that operational slides might enhance the system by still maintaining velocity past the injector, but that would take a LOT of experimentation.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Hi 93Bandit,
                          Have you seen my thread here 'katEFI'. A successful EFI functioning conversion ?!
                          I do list all of the conversion here and any gaps can be found in the Katana Australia forum, and yes you will have to be a member to view.
                          As mentioned I spent 6 months preparing and 4 days converting.
                          That was in September this year and I have ridden it every day to work since. No problems/reliable.
                          I do need to adjust the fuelling at some stage but totally ridable as is, no fouling of plugs smooth power delivery, etc.
                          Like you I wanted to create a conversion that anyone could easily repeat and I think I have using a donor bike and factory parts.
                          As I have mentioned all the perifories e.g fuel pump, trigger wheel etc can all be done differently to individules tastes/preforances of componentes.
                          Cheers Andrew.

Comment

Click HERE to see the thread on GSR.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1100 dreamn View Post
                              Hi 93Bandit,
                              Have you seen my thread here 'katEFI'. A successful EFI functioning conversion ?!
                              I do list all of the conversion here and any gaps can be found in the Katana Australia forum, and yes you will have to be a member to view.
                              As mentioned I spent 6 months preparing and 4 days converting.
                              That was in September this year and I have ridden it every day to work since. No problems/reliable.
                              I do need to adjust the fuelling at some stage but totally ridable as is, no fouling of plugs smooth power delivery, etc.
                              Like you I wanted to create a conversion that anyone could easily repeat and I think I have using a donor bike and factory parts.
                              As I have mentioned all the perifories e.g fuel pump, trigger wheel etc can all be done differently to individules tastes/preforances of componentes.
                              Cheers Andrew.
                              Hey Andrew, I just looked through your thread. Nice build! Fortunately for you, your bike is similar to the doner bike which I'm sure helped a lot. I'll probably end up converting my 850G which is a little different than what you have. Regardless, I'll have to pick your brain about the trigger system. It looks like you extended the trigger cover by combining two covers? Also, can you post some detailed pictures of the mounting bracket for the trigger pickup sensor?

Comment

Working...
                              X