No announcement yet.

come on mac (or seller)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand that you want a 4-1 for appearance and/or sound but if you don't get the MAC sorted out this EBay seller has many stock GS650 systems to choose from.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

boom photos, first one is showing where it sits on the gasket, then the next is how it sits in there, there is two different angles which it sits at showing that theres area for it to move, the more i think about it the more i guess its not a bad fit for what it is, there will never be a true perfect fit for this probably.

....and i must say the paint does suck on the system, bash me all you want for saying i shouldn't get a mac, it was the only option other than used oem, and i do want sound. im sure theres heat resistant paint when it needs a new spray.
      Last edited by timebombprod; 01-30-2020, 11:07 AM.
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

pics all look normal. bolt it up.
        1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Yep, looks fine. Just a thought, I've had a little trouble getting the gaskets to stay in place while installing the pipes. You can put some thick grease, on the head side of the gasket, to kind'f glue them in while installing the pipes, the grease will immediately burn out when eng. is started. Look'in good.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Another thought, I've always replaced the mounting bolts with studs. For me, it's much easier to get the flanges up & resting on a stud, than to hold the flanges in place while trying to get the bolts lined up. Also after long time & many heat cycles, it's easier to get a nut off the stud than to get the bolts out of the alum. head. Just my opinion.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

so there shouldnt be a spacer or anything at all to help support the headers? i know the muffler bolts on the bike but jeez seems a bit sketchy like it wouldn't stay still
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Did you look at the pictures in post #4. That's how they should look when installed properly. Look at how straight the flanges are. Don't over tighten the bolts (or stud nuts). If you over tighten them, they will bend in like a half moon.

Comment

Dude... Everything you posted in post#17 looks correct. The stock bolts are about 1/4" too short to be secure enough. Go get some decent stainless bolts, and washers. Bring an old one with you, and just ask for the same bolt, but stainless, and 1/4" longer. The rear mount holds the weight of the baffle side. You are really just WAY over thinking this...
                  '83 GS 1100T
                  The Jet

sigpic
                  '95 GSXR 750w
                  The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                    so there shouldnt be a spacer or anything at all to help support the headers? i know the muffler bolts on the bike but jeez seems a bit sketchy like it wouldn't stay still
                    Really?? Take another look. You have a decent-size bolt holding up the muffler and EIGHT bolts holding up the front end. Exactly what do you think is going to move?

You have fewer bolts holding the wheels to the forks.

Comment

Last edited by greg78gs750; 02-01-2020, 10:14 PM.

Comment

There is supposed to be a lip on the end of the pipe that rests against the gasket. Taking off half an inch will remove that lip and he will have more problems than he thinks he has now.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

One of the wonderful things about the WRITTEN language is that the reader can only see what is on the page. Can't hear the change in the voice, can't see the twinkle in the eye, NOTHING. Just what is written on the page.

If you want to be a sarcastic anal orifice, at least put "jk" in there (or whatever is popular today for 'just kidding') so the reader knows you are just jerking their chain.

Some of us, who have been riding and working on motorcycles for several decades, and who have seen many of your posts over the years, might have picked up on that. However, this is a new member that just joined a couple of months ago and has not had the pleasure of seeing your posts. Through other coversations with him, I happen to know that he is very young and this is his first bike, so he simply does not know any better, and will likely take what he sees as gospel and will cut off the pipes.

Please consider your audience and think before you type. Then think AGAIN before you hit the "Post Reply" button.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You mean face to face communication is better than electronic? Who'd a thunk? (Nobody under 30.)
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

you are absolutely right, steve, my apologies. post deleted.

Comment

all good ive already thought about doing that then realised how bad of an idea that would be especially if i cut them unevenly, but yeah new audience i dont have enough knowledge to not be gullible at a suggestion. atleast steve is honest and said id have more problems than i think i do, i probably am over my head thinking what is wrong with my bike when theres not much at all just basically periodical maintenance and a few new installations, just a first timer right now.

how i wish these online conversations could be as good as speaking in the flesh, its probably the same reason i dont feel as confident about certain things (with my bike ofcourse)
                                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                                1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                                X