No announcement yet.

come on mac (or seller)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update: its on, refit it a second time because at first i thought i installed the bolts unevenly leaving the flanges in a stressed position, nope, just macs finish. where the flanges are held there is sanded paint or something leaving it silver, but its uneven how its finished, so it looks weird. really screwed with me at first but everything on well, and the muffler mount almost even fit perfectly onto where the passenger footpegs are, but it was less than half an inch shorter then where the mounting hole is at for the footpegs, just put a ziptie on there its already very stable without it.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

I would ALWAYS go to studs if taking bolts out. A screwed up bolt hole is a real possibility after a few off & ons. Studs I can just break loose & retighten once every few years so the don't get frozen up in there

Comment

sorry sorry i know i shouldve used washers i didnt think of it at the time noobie mistake. fits well and very stable, and looks great in my opinion.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

That zip tie's not gonna last. Bolt it up.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            That zip tie's not gonna last. Bolt it up.
            if it sits there already like that do you think itd be fine? without the ziptie its basically the same spot i just put it there for reassurance, dont think i can make a mounting bracket for it as the hole for the muffler mount is shorter than the footpeg mount so the mounts are blocking eachother. so close to perfect fit.

or what could i do in my situation? dont know if id wanna drill holes in anything even the mount, maybe if i need to.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

I can't see how far the hole in the muffler bracket is from lining up to the rear peg mount hole. But I'd probably try to elongate the hole in the muffler bracket (make the hole an oval) if that bracket has enough meat to do that.
              or
              have someone weld a tab with a hole onto that muffler bracket to line up with the hole in the rear peg mount. That could be painted black so as to mostly disappear. Got a friend w/ a welder?

Otherwise, a few wraps of safety wire will get you a lot more mileage that a tiny little plastic zip tie.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

+1, hard to tell but looks like 10 minutes with a round file and you'd be there.
                Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                I can't see how far the hole in the muffler bracket is from lining up to the rear peg mount hole. But I'd probably try to elongate the hole in the muffler bracket (make the hole an oval) if that bracket has enough meat to do that.
                or
                have someone weld a tab with a hole onto that muffler bracket to line up with the hole in the rear peg mount. That could be painted black so as to mostly disappear. Got a friend w/ a welder?

Otherwise, a few wraps of safety wire will get you a lot more mileage that a tiny little plastic zip tie.
                1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

if you loosen up the clamp that secures the rear muffler to the linkpipe, does that give you the chance to wiggle the pipe so the holes line up ?
                  Usually you make sure the muffler lines up, then you tighten that clamp.
                  Make sure the muffler grabs on to enough of the link pipe to get a good clamping.
                  Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                    if you loosen up the clamp that secures the rear muffler to the linkpipe, does that give you the chance to wiggle the pipe so the holes line up ?
                    Usually you make sure the muffler lines up, then you tighten that clamp.
                    Make sure the muffler grabs on to enough of the link pipe to get a good clamping.
                    no i just fit it all the way in to ensure its fully on, will it react any different fully pressed in or just a little gap between?
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

Not being there looking at it, just by the pictures, it does look like if the muffler went appx. 1/2" farther up on the header, the hole should line up. It may take a little twisting & pushing, that's normal, but it looks too close not to be able to make it fit.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                      X