Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gs1100e has anyone used a factory pro jet kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my understanding has been that just a 4-1 with no intake changes usually does not require a rejet. I'm no expert.
    1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
      my understanding has been that just a 4-1 with no intake changes usually does not require a rejet. I'm no expert.
      yes those are all those 4:1 bikes with blue near the head.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
        My stock ignitor was breaking up @ 7K rpm on the one and only dyno run I ever did on an 1150 streetbike.
        You could see it in the dyno graph readout.
        Worked apparently well up until that point, got solid HP n Torque numbers, then nothing after that.
        Maybe it's not carb related at all, might be all electrical or not.
        Dyna-S might help eliminate the issue, by taking the ignitor out of the equation.
        I used a mechanical advancer from an 1100 to replace a stock 1150 setup.
        Seems all 4-1's create a flat spot somewhere in the curve, usually right where you might spend a lot time at a certain cruising rpm, but show HP higher up in the range, where street bikes don't spend much time.

The bike did have a FP jet kit with FP emulsion tubes installed, however this was a 90 GSXR 36mm 1100 slingshot carb setup on a relatively stock 1150 motor (3mm) over bore.

My wifes 1150ES has 36mm stock carbs w/dyno jet kit, K&N filters, Yosh 4-1 pipe, stock ignitor, 135 Mikuni mains not DJ (120-122.5 stock) 47.5 pilots (45 stock), needle on middle clip.
        It's been running well since 1998 when I bought it, but sometimes is difficult to start after long periods of sleep in a unheated garage.

Thank you for that lead on the igniter because I am starting to think my issue may not have anything to do with the carbs now. I do have a spare 1983 1100 parts bucket that I think has one, which is good because the oem parts lookup has it priced at
        Part# 32900-45120 Desc UNIT, IGNITER -SU USD Price 703.74
        82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
        80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
          Thank you for that lead on the igniter because I am starting to think my issue may not have anything to do with the carbs now. I do have a spare 1983 1100 parts bucket that I think has one, which is good because the oem parts lookup has it priced at
          Part# 32900-45120 Desc UNIT, IGNITER -SU USD Price 703.74
          I may have one if you need one Greg.
          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
            I may have one if you need one Greg.
            Thank you for the offer but I think i have one. BTW, I didnt think to see if I could rev real high while in nuetral...but i did today and it did not bog / shut down... so it looks like whatever is the problem it happens under load only.
            82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
            80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
              That depends a LOT on the design of the pipe and the muffler. A quick way to tell whether it will need re-jetting is to listen to it.

If it's louder than stock, that means it's flowing more, so will need to be jetted. A "quiet" or "street" baffle will have the smooth 4-into-1 sound, but will have enough baffles or a small-enough pipe that there is not that much more flow than stock. By the way, stock Suzuki pipes do flow remarkably well, so it has to be a pretty good replacement pipe to show much of a power increase.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am writing the end of this thread, dont know if I should delete or if there is good info for future readers. I just checked my compression and it is bad (this performance issue started before resetting my valves). 1=100 2=155 3=25 4=100.

So I guess my new fp kit and pods will have to wait while I figure out how to get the engine rebuilt.
                82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                80 gs1000s

Comment

No point in deleting.... check your valve clearances before you hang your head too low. Maybe one is tight on #3.
                  -1980 GS1100 LT
                  -1975 Honda cb750K
                  -1972 Honda cl175
                  - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

WOOHOO it was a false alarm. TxGSrider came over today and got me sorted out. I didnt know I had to check the compression with the throttle open. We checked it and I have 160+ on 3 of them and 155+ on cylinder #1.

Anyway, the issue wasnt that I needed larger mains but smaller. Evidentally this Delkevic pipe has LESS flow than the stock pipes, so we reduced them from the ORIGINAL 115s to 107.5 on the outside and 115's on the inside. Even then it had similar symptoms but not as drastic, so we removed the airbox lid and it is running all the way to redline now.

Funny story: 110's across would have probably been a good option but I didnt have that size on hand because the other day I traded 4 new 110's I had on hand to the motorcycle shop for the two 125's that I thought I needed to up it to.

Anyway, this has me sorted out for the dripping springs trip and I will install the FP kit and pods after I get back. Whew, I feel like I dodged a bullet even though the fear was from my own dumbassness.
                    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                    80 gs1000s

Comment

Good news lol

Comment

Back in the day, most instructions that came with 4-into-1 pipes said to remove the airbox lid; no other modifications to the intake were recommended.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                        X