Fuel line question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
    They might have bee hard miles in the hands of the PO. Anyway, 4K miles is a good interval to check them at, but more especially as you don't know what they are on a new-to-you bike.
    Also, bear in mind a lot of the less, shall we say, competent mechanics just listened to the rustle of the valve train and checked them by ear.
    What's a good shim kit to buy?

Comment

Wooooo, wait, A little early for a shim kit, you won't need a full kit, just to keep one bike going. See what you need first, then ask about the sizes you may (or may not) need.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Steve’s right, our first advice to you should have been to check the valve clearance. Steve offers a very helpful spreadsheet if you email him to help easily translate the spaces/shims you got into those you need.

After that, if you get the bike to start, you’ll want an air filter and a lid on the box in order for it to run properly. And if this bike sat for a long time, it is pretty much a certainty that the carbs will need thoroughly cleaned and new orings.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Sure he should check valves, most likely have to do carb fun too, but he had ignitor issues,so he’d probably like to have this thing fire up before more work!
          A shot of starting fluid won’t kill it, but might inspire him to carry on.
          Since his plugs were dry, the “choke” passages are likely blocked.
          If he’s a lucky guy, bike might have had its initial valve check and could be within tolerance at 4200 miles.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

gotta say, I have never seen "wet plugs" in my Suzukis. But -I've only got CV carbs. Maybe that's why...
            Even if I dip them in gas, they dry up quick. Not a lawnmower, not a two-stroke outboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              gotta say, I have never seen "wet plugs" in my Suzukis. But -I've only got CV carbs. Maybe that's why...
              Even if I dip them in gas, they dry up quick. Not a lawnmower, not a two-stroke outboard.
              If bike falls over with engine running, they get plenty wet...
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Does anyone have info on the spark plug wires placement? Not sure if mine are correct. I.E, left coil,..the left wire goes to?,,,Right wire goes to? Etc Thanks.
                Attached Files

Comment

I would think that when you try to start the bike and it doesn't fire up,,....and the fuel is flowing properly, the plugs would be wet.

Comment

Originally posted by abaton6 View Post
                    Does anyone have info on the spark plug wires placement? Not sure if mine are correct. I.E, left coil,..the left wire goes to?,,,Right wire goes to? Etc Thanks.
                    I think the typical layout is left coil (clutch lever side) feeds 1&4. Right coil (throttle side) feeds 2&3. Looks like the PO played a prank by putting multiple labels on the plug wires. That’s just not cool.

Originally posted by abaton6 View Post
                    I would think that when you try to start the bike and it doesn't fire up,,....and the fuel is flowing properly, the plugs would be wet.
                    Unless your jets are clogged. Your bowls could be full, but that may be as far as the gas ever gets. Clean your carbs.

Have you downloaded a service manual from Bikecliff’s website?
                    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 03-16-2020, 10:17 PM.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                      I think the typical layout is left coil (clutch lever side) feeds 1&4. Right coil (throttle side) feeds 2&3. Looks like the PO played a prank by putting multiple labels on the plug wires. That’s just not cool.

Unless your jets are clogged. Your bowls could be full, but that may be as far as the gas ever gets. Clean your carbs.

Have you downloaded a service manual from Bikecliff’s website?
                      Thanks............................................ .................................................. ..........

Comment

As I mention in my PM to you, these critters won’t cold start without extra shot of fuel from “choke” system. There’s a small hole in bottom of each fuel bowl that sends fuel up thru a tube and passages into the carb throat area ...with throttle plates closed and engine cranking with “choke” lever on, vacuum is applied to these passages to get extra fuel into carb throats. This system is easily clogged.
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                        X