Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS550E Carburetor Advice

Hey, friends.

So, my '83 GS550E has these weird, 30mm, two-barrel carbs that I'm sure you're all familiar with. When I bought this bike, which was a project with all the bodywork taken off and all the electrical components unplugged, the PO assured me that the carbs had been completely rebuilt. This was, of course, a bald-faced lie.

I started tearing them down today and they're a wreck. They're clearly missing a bunch of o-rings and washers, one of the butterflies is missing a screw (god knows where it is), they're full of residue, and the small jets are stuck in their bores and the slots in their tops for a screwdriver are completely mangled/stripped. They're not the worst carbs I've worked on, but they're up there.

So, my question to you, the GS braintrust, is where can I find some comprehensive info on these things? I've looked over the newb carb docs recommended in my other thread about this thing, but they're for the other style single-barrel normal motorcycle carbs, not these things. I picked up float bowl gaskets, intake o-rings, and an o-ring kit from the GS carburetor guy (whose name currently escapes me), and I'm going to dip the bodies and spray out all the passages. Does anyone have good diagrams on these carbs, or a solid detailed write-up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    196X BSA Frankenbike Project Firebolt
    1980 Yamaha XS850SG
    1979 Yamaha XS650
    1976 Honda GL1000
    1971 Honda CB500K1
    1983 Suzuki GS550ES

I have rebuilt a few sets of those. They are not all that different than the "regular" BS-series carbs.

I took a few pictures during the last build, intending to do a tutorial, but never got that far.

I'll send some info so you can contact me.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X