good fuel valve for gs650?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good fuel valve for gs650?

bought a cheap fuel valve months ago, had the smallest sweat that u couldnt see by staring, and now well, my tanks empty. the fuel valve on previously was also an aftermarket, is there any good recommendations for them?
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Most here would tell you to not cheap out and get a stock or equivalent petcock and be done with it. I've been running this one for over 20k miles and am quite happy with the fact it just works! Looks like yours is the same one, verify just in case.

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

One more thing that escaped me when I linked that petcock. There's washers on the two bolts that hold the petcock onto the tank, these need to be replaced if they leak. Take one of bolts to the hardware store and get a fiber washer for each one, these will be in the bin trays with all the other single fasteners. There's an English size that's just a tad too small, it'll fit just fine if you ream it out with some sandpaper rolled to fit in the hole and spun a bit.

It COULD be that's where your leak is at, either way they're only going to cost about 50¢ and it's a good idea to swap them out if you need a new petcock.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Regarding the washers as Lab says, or if available use Dowty washers they are like Oem some call them bonded washer.
        i use them for the sump/oil pan plug.
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

Georgefix sells similar unit as Z1....I’ve been running with one for 9 years with no issues . Note there are two styles as Z1 link points out.
          most decent hardware stores will have the bonded washers
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

gonna be getting the one that lab linked, ive learned why not to cheap out the hard way with these fuel valves, maybe ill see if i can repair them incase i ever need a backup.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
              gonna be getting the one that lab linked, ive learned why not to cheap out the hard way with these fuel valves, maybe ill see if i can repair them incase i ever need a backup.
              Like I said, try the fiber washers first!

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                Like I said, try the fiber washers first!
                oh haha well ill return it if i fix the other one

both were cheap one was $15 and the one that previous owner got was $20, id rather just get a quality piece with something like that i cant be getting stuck when this fuel valve is supposed to be a set and forget, but ill check them out and learn how to fix a fuel valve.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

There has not been a whole lot of success among forum members who’ve tried to rebuild petcocks.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                    There has not been a whole lot of success among forum members who’ve tried to rebuild petcocks.
                    are they prone to cracks or something not really repairable when they need rebuilds? ill just mess with them and see. still new to many things i only know what ive done so far.
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

are they prone to cracks or something not really repairable when they need rebuilds? ill just mess with them and see. still new to many things i only know what ive done so far.
                      I think it is more that the "repair kits" are cheaply made crap.
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I’m not sure there’s any one reason why so many petcock rebuilds fail. I do know I’ve read enough threads on this forum that have exactly the same outcome — failure, that I wouldn’t bother attempting it myself. Whatever floats your boat. But, I’m a bit like you too, in that i like to understand how things work. That sometimes means taking things apart with no idea if I can put it back together properly. But it’s that need for understanding, and a desire to do things for myself that have lead me to, successfully, in the last 2 years: overhaul the charging system, front caliper, MC, new SS brake line, rear drum (bet you don’t have one of those), forks w/new seals, LED headlight,etc. I’m about to open the clutch cover and see if I can’t screw that up. So far, with the guidance of the good folks here that are infinitely more knowledgeable than me, I’ve succeeded in making my bike so much safer and enjoyable to ride. I almost enjoy working on it as much as riding it now. Almost.

You’ll enjoy riding too. Soon. Stick with it. You’re doing fine.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

failure, that I wouldn’t bother attempting it myself. Whatever floats your boat. But, I’m a bit like you too, in that i like to understand how things work. That sometimes means taking things apart with no idea if I can put it back together properly. But it’s that need for understanding, and a desire to do things for myself that have lead me to, successfully, in the last 2 years: overhaul the charging system, front caliper, MC, new SS brake line, rear drum (bet you don’t have one of those), forks w/new seals, LED headlight,etc. I’m about to open the clutch cover and see if I can’t screw that up. So far, with the guidance of the good folks here that are infinitely more knowledgeable than me, I’ve succeeded in making my bike so much safer and enjoyable to ride. I almost enjoy working on it as much as riding it now. Almost.

You’ll enjoy riding too. Soon. Stick with it. You’re doing fine.
                          yeah very much the same, understanding is solving a problem, with less problems, i have less things to worry about! and no, no drum brakes, but maybe ill pick up something that old at some point.

working on my bike has gave me an appreciation paying for things cant, and i believe projects are always gonna be a hobby for me, if not a career. with this stimulus check coming up, i may start an asset and pick up a project single or twin cylinder whatever, that doesnt need a complete overhaul, to flip and repeat. gotta get the badass bikes somehow.
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

......and no, no drum brakes, but maybe ill pick up something that old at some point.
                            haha, our bikes came out the same year. The T was something of an economy model, as I understand. Meaning rear drum brake, and only a single disc up front. But a sharp looking bike, in my biased opinion.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

haha, our bikes came out the same year. The T was something of an economy model, as I understand. Meaning rear drum brake, and only a single disc up front. But a sharp looking bike, in my biased opinion.

very nice, ive grown accustom to mines look, but i do like that front fairing alot (future purchase?). from the angle of that pic it makes the bike look like some military bike, dont know why, just does, i like it.
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                              X