the start! and a new issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the start! and a new issue

got the ole boy started finally, and ofcourse seeing it start the first time is great, until you find a new problem right away. im gonna say i have a vacuum leak, because of how my revs stay, the throttle cable slings back correctly, but i also am still adjusting it.

in the video i stated it was a throttle cable issue, but the more i think of it i feel like its a vacuum leak, sucks if i have to take my airbox off again to tighten hard to reach bolts, but oh well im just happy she runs.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

when i say hard start, a few times it started right after i stopped pressing the button.

and also when i say exhaust smoke i meant from the headers aswell not just the pipe

edit: adjusting the throttle cable doesnt do too much basically you either tighten it too much or not enough but either way u give a tiny rev it shoots up
    Last edited by timebombprod; 04-02-2020, 05:41 PM.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Back the throttle cable way off so you know carbs are sitting on idle stop screw. You did replace the the orings at carb/head interface, right?? Did you bench sync the carbs before reinstalling??
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Back the throttle cable way off so you know carbs are sitting on idle stop screw. You did replace the the orings at carb/head interface, right?? Did you bench sync the carbs before reinstalling??
      carbs were bench synced yes, im gonna reroute cable , and yes o rings replaced. i have the cable set on the second mount in the throttle tube so the more far one, ill redo it so its on the shorter route.
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

First off, the cable adjustment at the grip is the VERY LAST place to ever deal with. First ensure the cable adjuster AT THE CARBS is adjusted loose enough so that when you gently twist the grip there is a little play before the linkage starts to move.

Second, just because it snaps back doesnt mean its going all the way..visually see the linkage is resting on the big idle knob between 2 and 3. And the big knob is where you set the idle not at the grip.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

new vid showing slack in cable and tightening from the bottom not top, i think theres a pinch or something in the cable, in the vid you can see me showing the cable from the carbs and you dont even see it move because i barely twisted it and it climbs up quick....also look at end of vid for a suprise, dont know if good or bad? prob bad

edit: you will see me messing with the cable from the throttle tube, im trying to have it sit at a correct rpm it kept shifting little by little leaving it alone.
          Last edited by timebombprod; 04-02-2020, 07:47 PM.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Ticking sounds like it may be missing on a cylinder. spray bottle with water on each header will tell if they all sizzle when squirted. Plenty of slack in cable. All the clamps tightening enough to not have a vacuum leak...they do stretch. O rings in intake manifolds new...sealling good? Chokes closing fully when taking it off choke..push on them to see if they close more when you take off the choke. Cables routed correctly..choke and throttle. Things ive mentioned so far are about all i can think of.

can spray some starter fluid on each intake as its running. if theres a leak the RPMs will really climb up when sprayed
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Ticking sounds like it may be missing on a cylinder. spray bottle with water on each header will tell if they all sizzle when squirted. Plenty of slack in cable. All the clamps tightening enough to not have a vacuum leak...they do stretch. O rings in intake manifolds new...sealling good? Chokes closing fully when taking it off choke..push on them to see if they close more when you take off the choke. Cables routed correctly..choke and throttle. Things ive mentioned so far are about all i can think of.

can spray some starter fluid on each intake as its running. if theres a leak the RPMs will really climb up when sprayed
              im going to be messing with airbox to see if i do have a vacuum leak, i believe i do. i tightened the intake boots down the first day and never re-tightened, i checked the ones i could today and they could definitely use a tightening. yes they are new o-rings. i dont have a choke cable on there just using the rack as of right now, and i have the throttle cable routed well but i cant lie i dont know the correct way, its not in a pinch or anything. i wouldnt be suprised if it is missing a cylinder im gonna do that test now, would make sense if a clearance is too high after everything seating correctly.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

CV carbs can make a jug "miss" at idle BUT come alive when throttles applied. Why? Butterflies out of snyc on that carb. IF 1 or 2 isnt as hot then you can loosen the jam nut on the left adjuster a tweek it a bit to see if you hear the jug come online and the RPMs rise. Conversely the same applies for 3 and 4...tweek the far right adjuster.

Comment

okay so, idles well and all, choke works well, sprayed the exhaust, 1,2 and 4 will steam and 3 will make the water evaporate but not steam at all, and i believe the exhaust valve on cylinder 3 was giving me a hard time.

they were cleaned and bench synced by gs steve but they arent synced to my bike specifically.

oh and the smell, burning popcorn, oil burning right? i know this bike is an oil burner.

edit: today was successful in my opinion, i got it started, idling, and kinda revving..kinda. back to the drawing board,

1) refit airbox and check all intake screws while at it
                  2) check out valve adjustment since it has had runtime, and plenty of higher idles.
                  3) mess around with throttle cable see if its getting pinched anywhere or something and then see what happens when its all back together.

edit 2: *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ maybe ill leave the adjustment alone for a bit.
                  Last edited by timebombprod; 04-02-2020, 08:23 PM.
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

ok...so run up the rpm and respray 3...bet it sizzles. And youre spot on about bench syncs. Intention is to get them close..not perfect for your bike. Put it on a gravity bottle and tweek the adjuster between 3 and 4. Once its getting all 4 pretty hot then vacuum sync the vcarbs

Comment

you do have a fan blowing air on the engine right

Comment

you do have a fan blowing air on the engine right

no and thats a huge newbie mistake i know! i have a fan to do so but it slipped right away, i guess i wasnt expecting any run time on it today. fan will be right on engine next time
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

ok...so run up the rpm and respray 3...bet it sizzles. And youre spot on about bench syncs. Intention is to get them close..not perfect for your bike. Put it on a gravity bottle and tweek the adjuster between 3 and 4. Once its getting all 4 pretty hot then vacuum sync the vcarbs

no sync kit right now, will be getting ahold of one soon.
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

OK. Get the fan and run the RPMs up sufficiently long enough that 3 should be good and hot the see what it does.

Comment

vids 6 minutes, exhaust 3 and 4 didnt stem but sizzle, 1 and 2 forsure steamed, the highest in idles i went was 1500 i dont know if thats high enough but if not i will have to wait till tomorrow to do again because neighbors need sleep. i very much believe its a vacuum leak because when idles went to 1500 and sat, eventually it shot up. also oil level is not there, needs oil. i still encourage to watch the video as you might notice something i cant. also that liquid on the intake boot was seafoam i spilled some accidentally, just put a bit in tank to have some reassurance that i didnt waste money on it.
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                              X