Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs550T broken float post/no fuel to float bowls

Hi all,

have been working on my BS32SS carbs from my '81 GS550T. Tore through them a few months ago to clean them and rejet, since it was running very lean with an aftermarket exhaust (used the 6sigma jet kits). While doing all of this one of the float posts on carb#3 broke, so I used some JB weld and called it a day. I had to stop the project since I didn't have a place to garage my bike, so I did a quick sync, threw the carbs back on the bike, replaced the stock airbox filter with a new OEM filter, oiled it up, turned the petcock to prime, and tried to start the bike - nothing. charged the battery up and had checked for sparks a few weeks prior so wasn't sure what the problem was. Either way I had no time to figure out the problem.

With a few months gone by, I just came back to the project and have decided to switch to individual pod filters. I'm currently talking with 6sigma to figure out new jet sizes and needle height adjustments, so that should be taken care of. I was a little worried about the JB weld fix, seeing some mixed opinions online, so I purchased a #3 carb from an '81 gs750 since they both use bs32ss carbs. Unfortunately, seems like the throttle linkage mechanism in the replacement carb has two small spacers on each end which throws off the spacing of the carbs and the gang plate no longer lines up correctly. Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about: https://imgur.com/a/PlQrSOH

So, my first question is if anyone by any chance has a carb#3 from a 1981 GS550T? if not, what are y'all thoughts on trusting the JB weld? I gave JB weld a call, and they said the steel/hardener product I used is repellant to gasoline and ethanol so I feel like it should be fine...? I also feel more comfortable keeping the original set of 4 carbs on the bike since it WAS running before I originally took the carbs off a few months ago and went to clean/rejet everything (although it was running lean, and would barely hold an idle).

At this point, my plan is to get the new jets and rejet everything, order in the K&N pods, sync up the carbs, and then put em back on and hope for the best. My only other question is, when I took the carbs off recently there was no gas in the float bowls at all... Which is interesting because I did try and start the bike on prime a few months ago when I first rejet everything. Does this mean it didn't start bc there was no gas getting to the bowls? Or would it make sense for there to be no gas since it never started? I did a petcock rebuild prior to all of this as well, and when I turn it to prime gas does flow out of the gas line so... any ideas??

Thanks in advance! This is my first post on the forum and have used lots of resources here already.
    Last edited by noaho; 04-06-2020, 03:08 PM.
    1981 GS550T:snowman:

First of all,

There have been mixed results with JB Weld on the float posts. It might depend on how clean the repair area was and how well you applied it, but it might work.

The 750 carb has more going against it than those spacers. The spacing on the 750 rack is different than the 550, so the throttle shaft is longer, too. There are also jetting differences in the body (not the jets) that can not be adjusted. In that regard, you would be better off with your repaired 550 carb.

I could check my parts bin to see if I might have a carb.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the info Steve! Was my mistake assuming the BS32SS on all the models were swappable. Going to hope for the best with the JB weld, I made sure to clean it and applied a lot of it so fingers crossed. Let me know if you do find another carb body though, would never hurt to have one just in case the JB weld does go.

any thoughts on fuel in the float bowls?
      1981 GS550T:snowman:

Comment

Working...
      X