No announcement yet.

1978 GS1000 Daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm working on timing now and I'm referencing the service manual but I'm drawing a bit of a blank. I've tried to follow it step by step and done my best to reference the images some of the procedure calls out but it doesn't make much sense to me. This is my first time ever timing a points vehicle so that definitely isn't help my frustration either.

1) Put a 0.35MM gap between the point and the breaker for cylinder 1&4; excellent that was easy enough.
    2) Connect timing tester...I don't have that. I have a timing gun if that is what that step is asking for?
    3) Rotate crank until index mark 2 comes into register with timing mark 4. What is index mark 2 referring to? Is timing mark 4 just the hole in the plate?
    4) Loosen the 3 screws holding plate until the points begin to separate. Which points? Didn't I already put a 0.35MM gap between 1&4?
    5) Rotate crank, if breaker begins to open its contact when timing mark 2 comes into register with mark 4 then the adjustment is correct for 1&4. What is mark 2?? What is mark 4??
    6) Bring mark F into register with the timing mark. The hole in the plate? 4? Is this mark 4?
    7) Loosen screws and rotate plate counterclockwise to determine its position for the beginning of the opening action. When I loosen the screws and adjust the plate there is no gap created between the point no matter which direction I rotate. The point connected to the condenser is screwed to the plate I've just loosened so it can't create a gap.

SOS, send help.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2020, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Looking at your mixture settings makes me cringe a bit. Yes, those setting might be what is working, but they are SO far out of 'normal', it makes me wonder if your jets are actually proper.

Some well-meaning (and CHEAP) owners will drill out jets to make them larger. You look at it and say "hey, that's a #15 pilot jet", when it's been drilled out to ... who know what. You already have your jets on order, so wait until they get there, that way you KNOW they will all be the same.

In a stock configuration, having the fuel screw (the one on the bottom) out 1 turn is pretty close for pods and exhaust work. The general ratio for fuel screw/air screw is close to 1:2, but I like to start rich, then tune towards lean, so I start with the air screws about 1 1/2 out. Be careful turning those screws, especially the fuel screw, they are VERY fragile and removing a broken screw tip is not fun.

There should be no need to increase the size of your pilot jets. Needles should be raised a notch or two and mains definitely increased, but I have never understood why the pilot jets needed to be increased. When you remove the airbox, you remove a lot of restriction when the carbs are wide open, so yes, you need more fuel for the mixture. Increase the mains. However, at IDLE, the throttle slides are your restriction, and they are in the same positions as when the airbox was installed. There is no increase in airflow at idle, so why would you need larger jets?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob4ta View Post
        So if each new shim is 0.05MM thicker or thinner, how would I go about replacing them? Is it acceptable to go beyond the 0.08MM tolerance? I’m referencing the service manual which shows everything from 2.15MM to 3.10MM in increments of 0.05MM each step.
        Are you referring to the factory service manual?
        That shows the tool needed for shim removal. Some use the alternative zip tie method. Both are shown on the BassCliff site.

Looser is better, .1 is acceptable. You can get thinner shims from the Shim Club, found in the Services forum
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I'm working on timing now and I'm referencing the service manual but I'm drawing a bit of a blank. I've tried to follow it step by step and done my best to reference the images some of the procedure calls out but it doesn't make much sense to me. This is my first time ever timing a points vehicle so that definitely isn't help my frustration either.

1) Put a 0.35MM gap between the point and the breaker for cylinder 1&4; excellent that was easy enough.
          2) Connect timing tester...I don't have that. I have a timing gun if that is what that step is asking for?
          3) Rotate crank until index mark 2 comes into register with timing mark 4. What is index mark 2 referring to? Is timing mark 4 just the hole in the plate?
          4) Loosen the 3 screws holding plate until the points begin to separate. Which points? Didn't I already put a 0.35MM gap between 1&4?
          5) Rotate crank, if breaker begins to open its contact when timing mark 2 comes into register with mark 4 then the adjustment is correct for 1&4. What is mark 2?? What is mark 4??
          6) Bring mark F into register with the timing mark. The hole in the plate? 4? Is this mark 4?
          7) Loosen screws and rotate plate counterclockwise to determine its position for the beginning of the opening action. When I loosen the screws and adjust the plate there is no gap created between the point no matter which direction I rotate. The point connected to the condenser is screwed to the plate I've just loosened so it can't create a gap.

SOS, send help.
          1 ok

2. It's a powered test light. You can turn on the ignition and use a test light
          3 look in the hole for the index mark. Rotate the crank until the1-4 F mark aligns with it
          4. Rotate the entire plate until the test light goes off (on?)
          5. Tighten the plate
          6. Switch the test light to the 2-3 points. Rotate the crank to align the 2-3 F mark aligns with the index mark.
          7. Adjust the small plate on the right until the light changes.

Takeoff the test light and attach your timing light to#4
          Fire up the bike and adjust 1-4 onto F1-4. Apply throttle and confirm it advances to the advance mark

Connect timing light to #3 spark wire and confirming F2-3 to index mark. Confirm advance

Sorry I can't remember whether the test light goes on or off, but I haven't usedpoints since 1983, and it's bedtime
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

SOS, send help.
            1 ok

2. It's a powered test light. You can turn on the ignition and use a test light
            3 look in the hole for the index mark. Rotate the crank until the1-4 F mark aligns with it
            4. Rotate the entire plate until the test light goes off (on?)
            5. Tighten the plate
            6. Switch the test light to the 2-3 points. Rotate the crank to align the 2-3 F mark aligns with the index mark.
            7. Adjust the small plate on the right until the light changes.

Takeoff the test light and attach your timing light to#4
            Fire up the bike and adjust 1-4 onto F1-4. Apply throttle and confirm it advances to the advance mark

Connect timing light to #3 spark wire and confirming F2-3 to index mark. Confirm advance

Sorry I can't remember whether the test light goes on or off, but I haven't usedpoints since 1983, and it's bedtime
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I missed one thing. The screw that holds the point to the plate is loosened and the point is moved to create the gap.

Oh, and, when you're done, order a Dyna S. ThatswhyI haven't set points simce1983
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I missed one thing. The screw that holds the point to the plate is loosened and the point is moved to create the gap.

Oh, and, when you're done, order a Dyna S. Thats why I haven't set points since 1983
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Looking at your mixture settings makes me cringe a bit. Yes, those setting might be what is working, but they are SO far out of 'normal', it makes me wonder if your jets are actually proper.

Some well-meaning (and CHEAP) owners will drill out jets to make them larger. You look at it and say "hey, that's a #15 pilot jet", when it's been drilled out to ... who know what. You already have your jets on order, so wait until they get there, that way you KNOW they will all be the same.

In a stock configuration, having the fuel screw (the one on the bottom) out 1 turn is pretty close for pods and exhaust work. The general ratio for fuel screw/air screw is close to 1:2, but I like to start rich, then tune towards lean, so I start with the air screws about 1 1/2 out. Be careful turning those screws, especially the fuel screw, they are VERY fragile and removing a broken screw tip is not fun.

There should be no need to increase the size of your pilot jets. Needles should be raised a notch or two and mains definitely increased, but I have never understood why the pilot jets needed to be increased. When you remove the airbox, you remove a lot of restriction when the carbs are wide open, so yes, you need more fuel for the mixture. Increase the mains. However, at IDLE, the throttle slides are your restriction, and they are in the same positions as when the airbox was installed. There is no increase in airflow at idle, so why would you need larger jets?

Oh for sure the screw positions are not correct for a properly running motorcycle, that's just what works to make it move on its own power with small main and unknown needle locations. Main jets are in the mail, pilots are going to stay 15 pilots with no change. I have no clue what "stock" needle clip location is so I'm going to pick something in the middle and start there. I live at 4400 ft elevation so I assume the needles will need to be on the leaner side of things. I plan on the fuel screw 1 out and air screw 1.5 out as a starting point once I receive all my o-rings, jets and needles. Timing is kicking my butt as of now...

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

Oh, and, when you're done, order a Dyna S. Thats why I haven't set points since 1983
                    My wife stripped out the 1-4 point last night so I'm going try and tap it and see if it cleans up...or order than Dyna and be done with this. I would like to learn how to actually set points and timing on this motorcycle just so I can say I've successfully learned something I've never done before.

Comment

The bike moves under its own power, reluctantly.
                      ...move on its own power...
                      I remember the ads from the late '70's. "World's quickest 1000," and "Bike moves under it's own power."
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Ok so I've just completed checking valve clearances this morning. My feeler gauge only goes as small as 0.04MM which I assume is more than satisfactory especially if the tightest measurement within tolerance is 0.03MM.

All the measurements that I listed below are the LARGEST gauge I could fit between the bucket and cam lobe. I checked each valve position in the A and the B position that are referenced in the service manual.

Cylinder 1 Intake: 0.04MM Exhaust: 0.10MM
                        Cylinder 2 Intake: Too tight Exhaust: 0.04MM
                        Cylinder 3 Intake: 0.04MM Exhaust: 0.05MM
                        Cylinder 4 Intake: 0.04MM Exhaust: 0.05MM

Looks like I could use some work on all 8 positions if I am to be closer to the 0.08MM range. I've already contacted Steve via email and I'm patiently waiting for his guide to get to me. The felt valve cover gasket did tear on a couple locations, is it worth it to replace, or just line up the tears and move on with installing the cover?
                        So I’m going to remove the Cylinder 1 exhaust and Cylinder 2 intake shims. I’ll replace them temporarily with some quarters so while I’m turning the engine over the bucket doesn’t get damaged and nor does the cam lobe itself. I’ve read quarters or dollar coins work well enough as they are soft and non-damaging. If anyone has a different recommendation please let me know. Thanks!

Comment

Time for an update for everyone!

I’ve completed my valve shim adjustment and all are within spec now. I replaced I take boot gaskets with brand new o-rings from CycleOrings. Installed my DynoJet Stage 3 kit with their 138 main(Mikuni 130 equivalent) stock 15 pilots and needles on the 3rd from top position(7 total positions). Fuel screws are 0.75 turns out and air screws are 1.5 turns out. Bike runs night and day better compared to before. Now I can begin working on tuning in the carb set properly to maximize performance and reliability.

Motorcycle responds to throttle well and pulls all the way thru. When I roll off the throttle slightly there is a small surge forward which tells me I’m probably still not “perfect” on my needle position. I may try to raise it 1 position and see how that factors. I do need to do a vacuum sync still, I’ve only performed a bench sync so far.
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2020, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Wanted to update everyone on my progress thus far.

Currently carb settings:

Main: DynoJet 138 (Mikuni 130 equivalent)
                            Pilot: 15
                            Fuel screws: 1 turn out
                            Air screws: 1.5 turns out
                            Needle: 4th clip from top

Intake: K&N oval pod filters

Bike runs great compared to where I started. Accelerated awesome, holds idle a little better, runs at freeway speeds good and sounds great too. BUT I think i need to address my fuel consumption. I did a round trip to work and home which is about 60 miles distance and I had to flip my petcock to reserve at about 50 miles distance traveled. I got to my nearest station and pumped in 3.85 gallons of fuel.

I have a very small weep hole in my tank which contributed to my fuel consumption and I don’t know for sure how much was lost that way. I have not pulled my plugs yet to inspect them but I’m assuming I’m going to be a bit rich.

The bike will be rode between 4200ft and 2700ft of elevation and 45-100*F temperatures all year long.

I’m going to lower my needles to about the 2nd from the top down and see how it runs from that position and I may even order some smaller main jets to have more to play with.

What other suggestions would any of you make? Smaller mains? Needle positions?

Comment

Your setting sound very similar to mine... in general I get about 40mpg mixed riding.
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                                Your setting sound very similar to mine... in general I get about 40mpg mixed riding.
                                Lucky! First tank of fuel was about 15mpg and that can’t be good. I have isolated my small fuel leak to the spot welds on the front of the tank. I have some aerospace sealant I use at work that I’ll apply around the affected area and hope it fixes any leaking.

Comment

Working...
                                X