Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS1000L carb reinstall tricks?

Hi all.

Finally found a good set of carbs to rebuild on this bike and having a bear of a time doing the install.

I know that it is not going to be easy in general... done many 70's type bikes like this. BUT it should not be this hard which typically tells me I am doing it the wrong way.

My intake boots are not hard at all... flex easily. i have the airbox back as far as it will go via a strap.

I am taking the carbs from the left side of the bike (Carb 4 going in 1st) and then from the top with the intake side lifted up.

This is not working at all.

On other bikes, I have found it easier to just remove the intake rubbers, mount the carbs, then remount the intakes. This cannot be done it seems on this buke because they will not release from the air box.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is a bone stock 79 L with 11k miles so I am trying to be very gentle and careful with everything.

Thanks!

Have you tried from the right? It's the only way I can do it on the two 550s in my garage.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi there. Thanks for the suggestion.

I did try from that side as well. Still run into the same issues.

Comment

I had my carbs and airbox off yesterday and noticed one of the intke tubes (boots, whatever) on the airbox side was folded inside the carb last time I installed them. This time I installed the carbs onto the airbox on the work bench, varifying that all the boots were correct, and installed it all as one piece. It was a snap! I made sure to connect the throttle cable this time before mounting to the head too. Oh, installed from the right side FWIW.

Maybe this would help you jukelemon. Also, a smidge of silicon grease on the intake rubbers gets things to go together nicely as well.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Thanks all.

Just tried it from the Right side and... 15 mins they were on! Big difference for sure. Pain in the ass still but much much easier from the right.

Thank you very much for the suggestions. Made all the difference.

Comment

Working...
          X