Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS850G '79 Airbox is rattling with rust!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G '79 Airbox is rattling with rust!!!!

Hello from Pastyland UK again Gs'srrs.

So my carb re-build is complete. Thanks for the forum help on initial tune up. I just feel like putting on my corroded airbox with it's obvious gaps between filter and the sound of an eggcup full of rust rattling around in the top which appears to be unshakable, is a fools errand so...

Is there a viable cone alternative that won't need re-jetting? Should I re-jet because it's just better? or open up the airbox, weld, repaint and re-use?

I want to pod it really and i'm sure that there's a lot of stories out there about why or why not and which type made you grin in rev world so...

If you have an opinion, i'd like to hear it. Cheers.

I've taken some pics but they're not uploading: Had to do surgery with a view to tack weld and seal after as a temp fix after a good jollop of galvafroid. How did it get so rusty? It's like its been underwater! And sorry to be naive but why the separate box for the breather and how does that link to the main intake box? You'll see that i cut a baffle from the top to bottom where the pipe sticks through. Is this about atmospherics or heat or what? Anyhow, just another day in the garage...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pastychamp; 06-13-2020, 05:03 AM.

“I want to cone it really “

Then have a go at pods.....bunch of members here have done it with the VM setup.
    Probably easiest to fix your air box..or get decent used one....be less work to get it running properly , before you make the pod leap.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Cheers Tom203.
      I did surgery today. Will the patient live? .galvi.jpg
      Going to have to patch her up hehe but why the breather in its own tank? See hose, there was a plate there too corroded to comprehend why?

Comment

Working...
      X