A real fumey mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A real fumey mess

Dont know a better way to start than saying that gas has mixed with my oil and I ran it about 30 miles with it like that. Engine didnt give out ran well the bike will idle at about 6-700 no problem once warm so I'd assume i have good compression going on still. (I have to say this was about a month ago, I have started the bike about 2 weeks ago aswell and it turned over and idled fine)

Opened up my valve cover to check clearances and the good news is all my clearances are within spec, but right when I lifted the valve cover off I could just smell straight fumes; gas mixed with my oil real well but I was running 15w 40 instead of 10w 40 so I think even if it broke down the viscosity of my oil i still was "safe", could be totally wrong about that.

Same deal with my oil pan I've just been letting asmuch liquid drip out as possible and I'll turn the engine to get any deposits of the oil to hopefully come out.

I guess the question is how do I eliminate asmuch gas or fumes as possible without tearing down the engine, is it a send it and forget it type deal? Is there any other covers I can remove that will have oil in them.

Should I get my carbs checked is that a possible reason this happens?

Another thought I had is can a vacuum line be too short to where it could pulsate more fuel than it's meant to?

Fuel valve is new and oem spec.

Been doing plenty of other work on bike
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

“Another thought I had is can a vacuum line be too short to where it could pulsate more fuel than it's meant to?

Fuel valve is new and oem spec.”

Ok....but did you leave it in PR position accidentally? If no, then, then check petcock for correct operation...in case you got a bad one..
    drain the oil and replace..don't run it like this
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      “Another thought I had is can a vacuum line be too short to where it could pulsate more fuel than it's meant to?

Fuel valve is new and oem spec.”

Ok....but did you leave it in PR position accidentally? If no, then, then check petcock for correct operation...in case you got a bad one..
      drain the oil and replace..don't run it like this
      No but ill say it happened after I primed the carbs getting it started. Gas shooting out bottom of airbox and stuff. I was told they take longer to fill than I'd think so maybe I let it get too much.

Is there anything that could cause too much fuel to enter the carbs? It's more so I just wanna make sure that if it is purely because I did something wrong I'd like to make sure that's the case.

And I did check the fuel valve it works good I could test again but initially there wasnt a problem with it.
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

i guess ill add that this has happened a few times, because it did and i dont believe it was always because i primed the carbs too much (only primed them the two times they've been on the bike since i got them cleaned by steve). if i would go to start it i would unplug the breather valve from the airbox and then gas would shoot out the bottom of the airbox once its was running.

my theory on the vacuum line being too short and pulsating incorrectly is from when i got the carbtune it said something along the lines of that; my vacuum line is pretty short and because of that it is under stress and the shape of the line isnt a perfect circle anymore, im not certain but im gonna change it anyways theres no harm in doing so.
        Last edited by timebombprod; 07-03-2020, 03:30 AM.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

“i would go to start it i would unplug the breather valve from the airbox and then gas would shoot out the bottom of the airbox once its was running.”

review the hose connections......and there is no need to unplug the breather valve...leave it be.
          EACC087B-C5F3-4B7B-BB4A-950550FDEB64.jpg
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

review the hose connections......and there is no need to unplug the breather valve...leave it be.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]61308[/ATTACH]
            I did it to see if gas ended up in my airbox and well I was right. Breather is connected to breather cover and top of airbox to suck in fumes. On the bottom of my airbox theres a nipple just like the one you connect the breather line to, is that supposed to be connected to anything? Other than that lines are in correct spots.

Edit: okay I actually dont have that breather vent connected to anything, is the line that ran to the fuel tank right next to the fuel indicator
            Last edited by timebombprod; 07-03-2020, 05:31 PM.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Hmm.... there is a small hose connected to fuel sending unit on tank bottom, this is just an overflow (to ground) in case sending unit leaks. The camshaft cover has a hose on top that connects to top of air box (sucks fumes). On bottom of air box there is fitting that connects to a special hose (part#6 in attached link)....when bike ain’t running, this drains any fuel/water in air box out to ground....when bike is running ,a small ball inside this part is designed to get sucked up by engine vacuum and close off this opening, to ensure a tight air box

Shop online for OEM Air Cleaner parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS650GL, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
              1981 gs650L

Comment

Hmm.... there is a small hose connected to fuel sending unit on tank bottom, this is just an overflow (to ground) in case sending unit leaks. The camshaft cover has a hose on top that connects to top of air box (sucks fumes). On bottom of air box there is fitting that connects to a special hose (part#6 in attached link)....when bike ain’t running, this drains any fuel/water in air box out to ground....when bike is running ,a small ball inside this part is designed to get sucked up by engine vacuum and close off this opening, to ensure a tight air box

https://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts...b6/air-cleaner
                Safe to just plug up? Other than not being able to see if anything is built up in airbox would I run into other issues? If not what all of those pieces do I order.

Kinda just wanna plug it up aslong as I dont keep running into a gas overflow issue.

And should the breather vent be connected to anything?

Jeez the small touches missed i didnt even know till now, glad I'm learning these things too.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

You need to find out why there’s fuel in air box ......unless you know that you’re to blame for overpricing with fuel valve. Get the #6 part for $15.....it was designed to work with the stock air box setup.
                  the drain hose for fuel sender just runs to bottom of frame
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                  X