Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650E Tank on a GS650GL

Hey Y'all,

Just wondering what everyone would think about putting an 81' GS650E tank on an 83' GS650GL? It doesnt have a fuel gauge which isn't terrible as my current fuel gauge doesnt work that great anyway. What i'm really wondering about is the petcock is set further back then my current tank, wondering if that could be an issue? I don't see it being a problem other then having to put a longer hose on my vacuum and fuel line but was hoping for some thoughts?
    My other option is getting my current tank welded and im still trying to find someone who could do that for me...which is apparently not that easy to do out here!
    1983 GS650GL First Bike!

How bad is the spot its leaking? Wont even lie i just JB welded where my fuel tank was leaking and let it sit and cure for 3 days. Hasnt leaked since.

Then again not the best option but it saved me $200

Also if this is a first project or something you're gonna like saving money try to repair before you replace.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

The E tank is longer than the L tank, and I think it might mount differently. The front mounts are in a different location, so basically, it will not work.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've tried JB weld and even a fuel tank specific repair kit, both repairs held for a time but now the second repair has started to show signs of leaking again.
        You are correct Steve, the E tank is longer, about 2" but the front mount sits perfectly on my current tank mounts so thats a bonus! I've got the new tank already which looks to be in pretty good shape aside from needing a paint job. So what I'm thinking is just fabbing a couple bolt on extensions to secure the tank in place. From the looks of it my neat seat will still sit nicely on the current mounts as well! I'm going to give it a try and see how it turns out. I dry fitted the new tank and I really like the change in profile it gives my bike. I'll update once i get around to doing the work on it!
        1983 GS650GL First Bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Mutashio View Post
          You are correct Steve, the E tank is longer, about 2" but the front mount sits perfectly on my current tank mounts so thats a bonus!
          The FRONT of the tank may fit on the L mounts, but the mounts are a couple inches farther back from the front of the frame, so the whole tank will be moved back. Unless the rear mount also lines up, you will have the back of the tank and the seat fighting for the same space on the frame.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            The FRONT of the tank may fit on the L mounts, but the mounts are a couple inches farther back from the front of the frame, so the whole tank will be moved back. Unless the rear mount also lines up, you will have the back of the tank and the seat fighting for the same space on the frame.

Ah yes! But the new seat that I got has a different profile than the original, so the front end of the seat does not have the big "flare" (not sure what you would call it) that covers the end of the tank. So it actually works out perfectly, the seat still sits nicely in the mounts and all Ill need to do is either move the current tank mount location or make some extensions to mount it. I'm not so good at explaining it but I'll post pics once i start working on it again.
            Very much appreciate the feedback though!
            1983 GS650GL First Bike!

Comment

So just an update...was able to get tank and seat fitting very nicely! Here's a pic. Had some time to work on it seeing as it was in pieces, was having electrical issues and ended up replacing Stator, Starter, Rectifier. Also put on some nicer turn signals and waiting for my new tail light and mufflers to come in to put those on.
              Suzuki.jpg
              1983 GS650GL First Bike!

Comment

Just another pic...
                1983 GS650GL First Bike!

Comment

And another...
                  Suzuki 2.jpg
                  1983 GS650GL First Bike!

Comment

THat looks good. How's the clearance bars to tank at full lock? I would have thought you'd need to extend the steerer stops....
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                      THat looks good. How's the clearance bars to tank at full lock? I would have thought you'd need to extend the steerer stops....
                      Thanks @salty_monk! It was very close! I added a bit of a bumper to the stops and it gives me a little more than 1/4" clearance at full lock!
                      1983 GS650GL First Bike!

Comment

Working...
                      X