Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 GS650G --- options for replacement mufflers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS650G --- options for replacement mufflers?

So my OEM mufflers are more like colanders right now - and a brief internet search shows that other than some reclaimed parts a straight up OEM or OEM-like replacement is not available.

Anyone got any suggestions for similar type replacements? Would like to go back to the non-holey thrumming noise than the current brash barking noise I have!!!

Thanks ...

Cheapest way is find a couple of Harley take-offs, as many H-D owners don't feel manly enough unless they've replaced their mufflers with something that's as loud as the hounds of Hades.
    Quite common to find a pair of mufflers from a Dyna or Sportster for as little as 20 bucks.
    I got a pair for 99cents - no kidding. The seller was probably pyssed at me, and in truth I felt a little guilty (but not for long).
    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Superb ... am surrounded by those darn noisemaker V twins here in SC !!!! ;-)

Any particular years to be on the look for that match closest to the OEM?

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      Cheapest way is find a couple of Harley take-offs, as many H-D owners don't feel manly enough unless they've replaced their mufflers with something that's as loud as the hounds of Hades.
      Quite common to find a pair of mufflers from a Dyna or Sportster for as little as 20 bucks.
      I got a pair for 99cents - no kidding. The seller was probably pyssed at me, and in truth I felt a little guilty (but not for long).

Comment

Originally posted by Simian Major View Post
        Any particular years to be on the look for that match closest to the OEM?
        Probably the tourer versions.
        I just grabbed the first and cheapest ones from a Dyna Fat Bloke or whatever it was called, but they're fairly short.
        Only thing to be wary of, I found, was that on that particular Harley the mufflers aren't at the same distance from the exhaust port, so the internal baffles are placed differently. It's not a big problem, easily modified. They're now fitted on the XJ and sound barely louder than stock.
        Have a look on the various Harley forums to get a feel of what might suit you for appearances.

I will say this - these Dyna mufflers and one I bought to modify for the GS are superbly made. Much, much better than most aftermarket ones.
        ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Mufflers for Japanese bikes are generic.
          If you go to a motorcycle shop, or online ebay etc., I'd be suprised if you didn't find a selection of knockoff slip-ons that look like the originals. Look for the slight bend near the join that lifts the muffler a bit at the rear. Try to get close to your original exhaust pipe size, but most of the generics come with exhaust-pipe shims.

The chrome is often very thin on the cheapest-almost see-through.... I think; to avoid bluish-looking ones if you can, is my theory....

As Grimly said, Harley mufflers are a deal. They are heavily built and heavily chromed. However, they generally lie level and lower than the slightly upswept originals. You might experiment with an angled, inserted pipe adapter if that's important to you. This'll make the muffler longer, too.

Comment

Working...
          X