1983 GS850 GL - Throttle gets stuck wide open, cable not sticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS850 GL - Throttle gets stuck wide open, cable not sticking

Hello, looking back on this its a long read, but the title sums it up. An idling and running issue at the end may be related.

My throttle is getting stuck wide open and I have no control my bike. The first thought was that the cable was stuck, but the 3 times I've had it happen the cable snaps back and returns. This latest time, I was lucid enough to make that certain, I did it at least ten times on my way back. No extra slack in the cable.

The first time this happened was after a ~150 mile day trip on the highway about 5 minutes from my house. Luckily my exit was .5 miles away. It happened when I went to pass a guy, dropped into 4th, revved up, clutch in, and revs stay up around 7-8k. Get back into 5th, confused, as it pulls me to 68, 70, 75, and not knowing what was going on just tried to regulate with the clutch to the exit. Then I kept it from taking off under me with the brakes all the way home.

I got it to do it again a few days later around the neighborhoods. It happens when you really rev on it.

In between that time and this latest time, a handy coworker said to get Lucas Injector Cleaner and put some in your tank. "It'll work the gunk loose and run like new." So I did, rode a couple tame rides without WOT and thought he was right.

Until tonight. It happened unexpectedly, I wasn't pushing very hard. Tonight was the last straw because as I was braking to hold it back, I hit a patch of sand and nearly washed out at 20 or so mph. I was a little shaken.

While I was testing if the throttle cable had slack, when the bike was pulling hard I could stab the throttle and it would slow down. It didn't quite slow down to where it was idling previously, it stayed at 2000 rpm for example. I did this a few times too to make sure it was real.

___ Other issue - Also, right before this ^^^, after riding 10-15 minutes, RPMS started to slow down and would have died if I didn't bump the throttle. It was idling consistently at ~1.1k rpms, then slowly slowed to 1k, 900, etc. I played with the idle knob to bring it up. Turning it, it would rev up to 2k, stay for a couple seconds, then fall down to 1.1-1.2, then slowly go even further down. This is when I turned around to go home.

Also, how I got caught with WOT again was because on my way home I really revved it. However, when right before it had power at most of the rpm range, it started to bog under a lot of throttle and not provide power.

I apologize for the long post but I tried to provide useful info for you smart people to maybe figure it out.

Throttle slides?

Thanks for reading.

Check the throttle cable where it goes between the intake tubes on #1 and #2. There should be either a wire spanning across the cylinder head side of the boots or a deflector plate on the carbs. The object of either one is to keep the cable out of the linkage.

My son can tell you how exciting it is, too. He took his (then) girlfriend out for a ride and called us about 15 minutes later, saying the throttle was stuck. I grabbed the trailer to pick them up and take the bike home. Of course, it idled just fine when I got it into the shop, and did not take long to find the cable getting caught in the carb linkage.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Train yourself into instantly recalling where the killswitch is.
      You missed a valuable training opportunity, there.
      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

/\ /\ /\ /\ What Steve said. I had exactly that happen. I had installed a new clutch cable and improvised a new cable guide that Steve mentioned. Only my cable guide was too long and actually pushed the clutch cable too far in between carbs 1 and 2. At low revs, it was fine. At higher revs, it caused the throttle linkage to get hung up and I over-revved. Terrible things happened to my valve train. Long story short: New Engine.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I have that new clutch cable teeshirt as well.
          Luckily the bike was on the centre stand in the garage at the time.
          Only time the kill switch was used in anger.
          Most stuff on a bike, even W shaped bits of corroded wire, are there for a reason.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Check the throttle cable where it goes between the intake tubes on #1 and #2. There should be either a wire spanning across the cylinder head side of the boots or a deflector plate on the carbs. The object of either one is to keep the cable out of the linkage.

My son can tell you how exciting it is, too. He took his (then) girlfriend out for a ride and called us about 15 minutes later, saying the throttle was stuck. I grabbed the trailer to pick them up and take the bike home. Of course, it idled just fine when I got it into the shop, and did not take long to find the cable getting caught in the carb linkage.

Hello Steve. If it was the cable sticking wouldn't it have slack while it was stuck? Like I said I checked at least 10 times if there was slack while it was pulling me and there wasn't. I looked at my carbs every time afterwards to see if the cable was getting stuck and it wasn't. Did your son's bike have Mikuni CV carbs like mine?

Comment

It's not the clutch cable that gets stuck.

The cable gets wedged into the CARB linkage, which will then prevent its movement.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Have a look down between carbs 1&2 or 2&3 as you twist the throttle grip.
                Watch the levers rotate up and back.
                Now imagine a wandering clutch cable snuggles up in there and prevents them rotating back down.
                You can poke a stick in there and see how the throttle levers stay up after the grip is released.
                97 R1100R
                Previous

Comment

For anyone interested, the actual issue was a chunk of weather stripping foam the previous owner used to seal the top of the air filter cage to the air box.

I decided I'd just take the carbs entirely apart and look for myself. I found it behind the butterfly valve of carb #4.

Woohoo!

Comment

The PO strikes again! Glad you found that.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by TastyChevelle View Post
                      For anyone interested, the actual issue was a chunk of weather stripping foam the previous owner used to seal the top of the air filter cage to the air box.

I decided I'd just take the carbs entirely apart and look for myself. I found it behind the butterfly valve of carb #4.

Woohoo!
                      LOL, the things people do - well done you.
                      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Nice! Glad you found it & it was an easy fix.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Nice.

But don't ignore the clutch cable retainer between carbs 1 and 2.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

In hear the sound of scores of weatherstripped airboxes being opened in the background
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous

Comment

Working...
                            X