GS100 runs with gas out overflow tubes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS100 runs with gas out overflow tubes.

To make a long story short, I have had carbs off three times from last year. they have been in carb cleaner tanked. First time only would run with choke on. Also gas coming out left side overflow. I removed carbs, took apart they left two carbs and cleaned again. Also installed new needle and seats OEM Suzuki ones for two on the left side. Back in bike, hard to start but got it running after a few seconds on prime then back to normal on position. It runs with choke off and revs but gas is now pouring out both overflow tubes. Are my floats sticking, guess I will check. I have had this bike running fine before so know float level is acceptable. Bike sat for a year. Cleaned the carbs and it started the run with choke on only, think I have resolved now with new orings but now have the overflow issue. Thanks 1981 GS1100E

Opinion:
    Your CV carbs do not (to my knowledge)have overflow tubes. It has a fuel line, a vacuum line, and 2 vent lines. If the gas overflowed out of the vent lines, it very well could have made its way to the airbox, air filter box (should be a drain there to check on the bottom of one of those), and/or into the combustion chamber, then into your oil. Check oil for over-full, smelling like gas (it should not). Recheck carb float levels (in the service manual) and that floats are not sticking at all. Recheck float needle valves and seats. there are service manuals and 2 great CV carb cleaning tutorials found on BikeCliff's Website (link in my signature).

Welcome to the forum. Please put your bike info in your signature. Go to settings (top right), My Settings, then edit signature.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 08-11-2020, 12:41 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by alhntr View Post
      To make a long story short, I have had carbs off three times from last year. they have been in carb cleaner tanked. First time only would run with choke on. Also gas coming out left side overflow. I removed carbs, took apart they left two carbs and cleaned again. Also installed new needle and seats OEM Suzuki ones for two on the left side. Back in bike, hard to start but got it running after a few seconds on prime then back to normal on position. It runs with choke off and revs but gas is now pouring out both overflow tubes. Are my floats sticking, guess I will check. I have had this bike running fine before so know float level is acceptable. Bike sat for a year. Cleaned the carbs and it started the run with choke on only, think I have resolved now with new orings but now have the overflow issue. Thanks 1981 GS1100E
      I am experiencing similar issues but its going into my Airbox. Check yours as well. I now believe it is the float needle valves that are not sealing. Hope the more experienced Member chime in and help you as they have been advising me.

Good Luck
      My Girls:

1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 " Valerie" - Project
      1982 Suzuki GS1100G "Beauty" My Daily Rider
      1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 LTD "Amber" - Project
      1978-1982 Yamaha XS1100 Special "Sweetness" - I'm still looking for her.

Comment

Just removed the two carbs that did not have no new needle and seats. Needle has a microscopic line in it but I cant feel it with finger nail. I might as well order two needle kits that way I have new for all four. I saw no dirt/debris and float was not stuck. The other 2 carbs with new needle/seats I will wait to check aft er my parts come in.

Comment

I had that problem once, after remounting carbs. Turned out I had put the hoses on the wrong spouts of the petcock. The vacuum line was on the outflow one and the fuel line was on the vacuum one. Easy to fix.
          Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
          1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
          1981 GS1100E

Comment

And if the vents ( black plastic nipples ) are capped or the vent lines are kinked or otherwise plugged the CVs will overflow.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
            X