Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb balancing headache

This is on my 81 gs650gL

Maybe not a headache, but the smoke did give me a sore throat .. ha.

I've done a full jet replacement and rebuild of everything below the needle jet, and I went to sync the carbs. I made my own tool, which is part of the frustration, and will have a better one Friday.
    In the mean time, I had them "bench synced", but they are all far from that now. I have a huge high-velocity fan keeping the bike coolish, but I am losing my cool. (Pardon my puns, I'm frustrated) The head temps were about 180, according to this IR thermometer I have.

I'm running into a couple issues I'd like advice on:

Sometimes I can't keep the bike running long enough to make adjustments, even to the idle screw. The manual says to keep the bike idling at 1750, however my gauges are more stable around 2200. With each adjustment, I am having to go back and forth a little between the idle screw and each adjustment.

What is a good starting point for the sync screws when they have been turned way out? Screwed in just barely enough to touch the spring-loaded plate? Touching plus 2 turns? With the 2 outside sync screws, 1750 sounds lopey like a high-cam car.

Adjusting each carb so that engine speed increases initially causes the flow reading on that carb to *drop*, which confused me at first.

I also just realized I left the airbox open, which is not helping things.

(Edited to remove Pilot screw question)
    Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2020, 07:06 PM.

If you are questioning the position of the sync screw, you have NOT done a bench sync.

Take the carbs off the bike. No, it's not fun, but it's necessary. Hold the carbs up to a light, look into the engine side of #3 carb. Turn the idle speed screw until you see just a small sliver of light under the butterfly. Turn the sync screw between carbs 2 and 3 so that the sliver of light in #2 carb matches that of #3, then proceed to #1. Finally, adjust #4 to match #3. When all the slivers of light are as close to the same size as you can get, snap the throttle linkage a few times to see if anything changed.

While you are at it, adjust the pilot screws to three full turns out from lightly seated. This richer mixture will help it start to do your vacuum sync. After you complete your vacuum sync, turn the pilot screws IN slowly until the engine starts to slow down. Turn the screw back out 1/4 turn, move to the next carb. After all four carbs are done, do it again, but only turn the screw out 1/8 turn when the engine slows down. Verify good throttle response, then turn the engine off, you're done.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I reluctantly pulled them off this evening because last night, I was in my garage, and discovered 3 rubber pilot jet plugs that are supposed to be in the carbs. 4 old ones would have made sense, as I tried to keep all the old parts, but 3? Nope.

I smeared a very thin film of sil-glyde brake lubricant on all the boot interiors, and it was much easier to get back together. I left things loose, and will see how it's doing tomorrow. They'll probably work better with all the parts in them. Sometimes, ADHD really sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        If you are questioning the position of the sync screw, you have NOT done a bench sync.

Take the carbs off the bike. No, it's not fun, but it's necessary. Hold the carbs up to a light, look into the engine side of #3 carb. Turn the idle speed screw until you see just a small sliver of light under the butterfly. Turn the sync screw between carbs 2 and 3 so that the sliver of light in #2 carb matches that of #3, then proceed to #1. Finally, adjust #4 to match #3. When all the slivers of light are as close to the same size as you can get, snap the throttle linkage a few times to see if anything changed.

While you are at it, adjust the pilot screws to three full turns out from lightly seated. This richer mixture will help it start to do your vacuum sync. After you complete your vacuum sync, turn the pilot screws IN slowly until the engine starts to slow down. Turn the screw back out 1/4 turn, move to the next carb. After all four carbs are done, do it again, but only turn the screw out 1/8 turn when the engine slows down. Verify good throttle response, then turn the engine off, you're done.

Can you do the carb balancing without those tube tools? Is this really all there is too it?
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
          Can you do the carb balancing without those tube tools? Is this really all there is too it?
          That is to get you close enough the bike runs. You still need/should do a proper sync.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
          X