Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel level sender, HOW THE F@C& do you get it in the tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel level sender, HOW THE F@C& do you get it in the tank?

So they I got the bike the fuel sender was not in the tank, I used the tutorial to fix the unit, no I'm trying to install it in the tank and can't seem to get it back into the tank. I searched the forum and wasn't able to find a thread, which makes me think I'm either doing something completely wrong or the unit that the previous owner gave me must be from a different bike.
    I was hoping someone had some tips to get it back in the tank, replacement units seem to be rare to come by, does anyone know of a aftermarket that would work?
    1983 GS650GL Not running when I bought it. runs great now
    Engine- Carb Cleaned, Valve Adj, Ignition Mod, balanced carbs, Polished/Painted engine, Exhaust wrapped
    Frame & Wheels painted, rebuild brakes/masters, Fixed Tach/Spedo, Sonic Springs in the Front, New handle bars w/bar end mirror/turn signals
    Still To-Do?
    Fuel sending unit, Fuel tank paint job?, LED headlight?, Seat falling apart, Solutions?, Changing look of the rear of bike, Seat, Brake/turn-signals

You have to corkscrew it a bit, but it eventually goes in.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I took a video of me doing this. Will post in a bit when I get home.

Edit: here ya go.
      Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-29-2020, 08:19 PM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks for the vid, I will try again either tonight or tomorrow depending on how much fuel I have in there.
        The fact you just did that 3 times in less than a minute ONE HANDED!!! and I spend 20 minutes attempting to get it in just once and failed aggravates me lol. I'll use it at motivation!
        Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        I took a video of me doing this. Will post in a bit when I get home.

Edit: here ya go.
        1983 GS650GL Not running when I bought it. runs great now
        Engine- Carb Cleaned, Valve Adj, Ignition Mod, balanced carbs, Polished/Painted engine, Exhaust wrapped
        Frame & Wheels painted, rebuild brakes/masters, Fixed Tach/Spedo, Sonic Springs in the Front, New handle bars w/bar end mirror/turn signals
        Still To-Do?
        Fuel sending unit, Fuel tank paint job?, LED headlight?, Seat falling apart, Solutions?, Changing look of the rear of bike, Seat, Brake/turn-signals

Comment

Oh. Trust me, my phone doesn’t have enough storage to have recorded all the failed attempts. It’s one of those things that once you’ve got it, you’ll wonder what all the cussing was about. And you didn’t have the knowledge of how it’s removed, making it a real puzzle.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
          X