Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'82 GS650, running very oddly, someone help me make sense of this please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS650, running very oddly, someone help me make sense of this please...

Hi all,

I just put the bike back together after doing some work, part of which involved taking off the exhaust. The bike ran pretty well before, but now it has a lot of problems. So, first off, when I first reattached the exhaust and started it back up, I noticed I had a lot of leaking smoke out of the headers. I took it back off and reattached it tighter and added some JBWeld gasketmaker, and now there is no visible leak, but I'm assuming it's still not a perfect seal, but should be good enough. Now with the bike, I can not make any sense of how it currently runs. Depending on how I have the idle and choke set, it will either idle way too high, which makes sense for the idle being high, idle perfectly but will die if I give it gas, or idle around 1500 and run great for about 10 minutes, until it ultimately dies, and I have to mess with everything again. (which is extra frustrating because I thought I had it all fixed and took it on the road, and it died in the middle of the road and I had to sit in a parking lot for 20 minutes trying to find a good mix). My guess is that the fuel/air mix is off because of the header leak, but I can't find any resources that show where the screw actually is! Everything I see says it's on the side, but there is no screw visible on the side of these carbs. There's a screw on the top, on the engine side that I thought could be it, but messing with those screws has no affect. I don't think it's a dirty carb problem, because once again, it was running pretty decently before I had to take stuff apart. Any help / resources would be appreciated. Thanks
    1982 GS650GL

I guess this is probably a dumb question, but how do I adjust fuel and air mix on the carb?
    1982 GS650GL

Comment

I would do only one thing at a time. If before exhaust it was running good, after not, and you do anything other than tinker with the exhaust, you may be complicating things by a factor of...a lot.

Ask me how I know.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmarino View Post
        I guess this is probably a dumb question, but how do I adjust fuel and air mix on the carb?
        you adjust the air/fuel mix by changing the components for each carb circuit - idle jet, main jet, needle, etc

The idle mixture screws are on the top front of each carb
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

You might want to check out the Newbie Mistakes link in my signature to see if anything applies. The idle inconsistency sounds similar to an air leak. If you haven't chanced the intake boots & o-rings now would be a good time.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Did you remove the old and install new exhaust gaskets between the pipes and the head - item number 2 on the fiche:

GASKET
            14181-05010 14181-18C00
            $5.64

Shop online for OEM Muffler parts that fit your 1982 Suzuki GS650GL, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Sounds like you need new exhaust gaskets, maybe new intake O rings, seal up the airbox with new foam, perhaps dip & clean the carbs.... it's normal on these bikes unless it's been done in the last few years.

Good luck. You're in the right place to find info & ask questions.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Get new exhaust gaskets..

“There's a screw on the top, on the engine side that I thought could be it, but messing with those screws has no affect”

sounds like you’ve been messing with the mixture screw on each carb....if so, you probably got it far off its happy spot. It needs to be about 2 to 3 turns out from a careful bottoming. This controls a fuel/ air mixture....once bike is sorta warmed up and “choke” is fully off this maintains a stable idle and supplies enough mixture to let bike transition to higher loading where the main jet/ needle takes over.
                the mixture screw looks like this
                70171CBC-DA42-4B28-823C-1907E4B8FA45.jpg

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ah, good catch. Didn’t even think about changing those big rings, figured they weren’t a problem. I’ll look into that
                  1982 GS650GL

Comment

There's a screw on the top, on the engine side that I thought could be it, but messing with those screws has no affect. I don't think it's a dirty carb problem,
                    the effect of turning a single idlemix is much less noticeable on a four-cylinder versus a two cylinder. If you have fiddled with them, without taking note of original positions it's Best to set them to spec. in the manual
                    but I can't find any resources that show where the screw actually is!
                    available here:
                    BikeCliff's Website
                    Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-14-2020, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X