Fuel Stabilzer Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Stabilzer Video

I don't know if this was on here before but I thought there's some pretty good eye opening info here.

We find answers to all of your fuel stabilizer questions, so sit back, relax and soak it in. [Links below]FUEL ADDITIVES TESTED: K100: https://frt9.co/8e16fl...
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
    I don't know if this was on here before but I thought there's some pretty good eye opening info here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chsGBhB5g7o
    This video sure is making the rounds right now on social media...love this guy's videos.
    I put Chevron 94 in all my bikes....no issues...but I don't let them go unridden for long periods...a buddy just came over last week to take my Cooley and my bmw out....we shall see how my bikes hold up while I wait to get better enough to ride.
    No signature :(

Comment

Informative and entertaining. Ryan always delivers. I've used Star-Tron and Sta-bil pretty much interchangeably, just depended on who had what whenever I happened to remember to buy it. Definitely will ditch the Star-Tron. Take-away: Get ethanol-free gas in the tank and carbs before storing.
      Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 11-02-2020, 10:45 PM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

what grade/type of metal was used.
        Stabil and CT knockoff work fine

I always use ethanol free gas
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Great video. I have been using Star-Tron, with the occasional exchange for SeaFoam, but then, my bike never sits for more than two days.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

I run ethanol in all my stuff, but do not let it sit for longer periods. They winter with regular gas. Fuel stabilizers are worthless. You're just as well off to put a pint of kerosene or diesel in it.

Comment

I've used SeaFoam for storage for 10 years from November thru March (winter wimp) and often have a little difficulty getting going again in the Spring. Switching to Stabil this fall. Thanks Ryan.
              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

I used "STA-BIL" for my jerrycan storage last year and put gas in my riding mower (Husqvarna) earlier this year and noticed the temporary stalling in the engine. I let it cycle through after stopping/disengaging the blades. Eventually it stopped sputtering and I have since stopped using Sta-bil.

After watching that video, I'm going to stop using the $7 bottle that was recommended to me at Lowe's.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Mr. Contrarian here, but Rusted-out gasoline tanks are not a new thing. If there's condensation moisture getting into your "ethanol free" tank, it settles pretty near directly to the bottom of your tank. The video didn't show that...

Gasoline companies say that IF you store gasoline (ethanol or not) in a FULL and SEALED gasoline container, it'll last a year. I put stabil in mine too and haven't had any problems... It's a very low proportion- using more than directed is counterproductive.

As I understand it, Stabil is not intended so much as a moisture guard- more as a way to slow the aromatic loss and stop the gas from degrading overall.

Lawnmowers and my little 2 stroke outboards and chainsaws seem ok with the oldest mixes that might be 18months or more old.
                  Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-03-2020, 01:16 PM.

Comment

How about filling up your gas tank completely with ethanol free and draining your carbs? Is that the best method for winter storage?
                    Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                    2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                      Fuel stabilizers are worthless. You're just as well off to put a pint of kerosene or diesel in it.
                      your experiences run contrary to everyone I've met.
                      as if diesel and kero produce immunity. maybe a higher Sulphur content consumes flash rust.
                      is your area temp stable with low humidity?
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I prefer real-world experiments, so I favor this guy's approach. Plus I appreciate his scientific style.

Another month is upon us! Who will be the next fuel additive to drop off?! What additives sound like they're next in line? Find out here when you watch Taryl...
                        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                        __________________________________________________ ______________________
                        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                          How about filling up your gas tank completely with ethanol free and draining your carbs? Is that the best method for winter storage?
                          Sure. Fill the tank with fresh gas now, drain the carbs,' should be fine. Especially if your petcock really does work to hold back a full tank. It's pretty dry in Utah isn't it? (It's a dry cold ) As to what's "best", if she starts up well next spring, what's better than that?

Here, where temperature goes up and down around zero where humidity can vary between 99 and say 60? on a freezing day, AND I will be riding three bikes intermittently, I put some stabil in. Maybe it's more as a charm, but they start up pretty well. Other bikes get their carbs drained. I just use 87 with 10% ethanol, but I've nothing against ethanol-free. I just haven't noticed a cost VS running benefit.
                          Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-04-2020, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            Sure. Fill the tank with fresh gas now, drain the carbs,' should be fine. Especially if your petcock really does work to hold back a full tank. It's pretty dry in Utah isn't it? (It's a dry cold ) As to what's "best", if she starts up well next spring, what's better than that?

Here, where temperature goes up and down around zero where humidity can vary between 99 and say 60? on a freezing day, AND I will be riding three bikes intermittently, I put some stabil in. Maybe it's more as a charm, but they start up pretty well. Other bikes get their carbs drained. I just use 87 with 10% ethanol, but I've nothing against ethanol-free. I just haven't noticed a cost VS running benefit.
                            Yep, it's a dry heat here in the high desert. Dry cold too. Humidity is usually measured in the teens here.

After an expensive carb rebuild on my snowblower which was fueled with E10, I vowed never to put gasoline mixed with ethanol in any carbureted engine again. Even with Stabil in the snowblower gas, the evaporated ethanol residue left a thick layer of gunk on the carb innards. Not cool when there's a foot of snow on the ground and the 'blower won't start. I seriously don't want any of that nonsense in my GS carbs so it's ethanol-free for me.
                            Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                            2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Just an afterthought, but if a petcock IS a wee bit slow-drippy, it might be worth the trouble to disconnect the fuel line from the tap and then get a short piece of fuel line with a solid plug in it to stick on the tap...

An empty tank works too but is more worrying to keep rust out. .. because you really have to take it off to empty it completely, air it out, spray inside with a light oil, keep it indoors....

Comment

Working...
                              X