Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonky throttle

Back here again....

Lastnight I got the bike put back together with all new rubbers and had all four coils sparking blue. Idled great but it was a bit higher than it should be, and my issue if the idle rising up after some throttle was gone.

This morning I went to start the bike up and it could not idle by itself on the same setting as lastnight so i had to turn up the idle, eventually sitting a bit lower than it should. Guess what came back, that hanging idle, and now my bike likes to jerk itself while sitting at 2500rpm about. Also that inconsistent skip is back.

What the heck do i do
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

I'll add that lastnight the vacuum line wasnt hooked up and was blocked off, and I forgot to put the breather valve on the valve cover. Other than that theres no difference in lastnight and today
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

“now my bike likes to jerk itself while sitting at 2500rpm”

did it have this jerk problem before you changed plug wires?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        “now my bike likes to jerk itself while sitting at 2500rpm”

did it have this jerk problem before you changed plug wires?
        Yes but not as bad it always had acted a bit weird taking off but now it really acts odd
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Gonna block off the vacuum line and see if that changes the bikes attitude.

It seriously ran great with no issues lastnight. Morning after is always the real test but did fully hook it up lastnight after I ran it, so I didnt get to see if anything changed between that.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Unplugged vacuum line, blocked it off. Had better response for a little while, and a higher idle than usual like lastnight.

What I did notice is that I think it's only when the bikes warm itll do that idlerise, and eventually it will go back down, can this involve jet sizes?

Keeps having that slip more commonly now so the engines seemingly is on it's way to die. Gonna end up checking this battery to see how its held up the 1 day it's been used.

The only difference I had lastnight that i haven't set back to how it was is I had my carb sync tool hooked up, now the holes are set with it's original components.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

I am just thoroughly amazed that lastnight I had a great running bike with no issues and today I'm back to where I basically was.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Fried this battery too, i am really hoping all my issues are being derived from my battery getting fried up.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Okay so, back here and I'm guessing now it has to do with the carbs leaning out.

I can get the fuel mixture screws set correctly to where I have a great steady idle, but I still do get the hanging idle no matter what. Also if the bike deaccelarates fully you can hear whatever it is turning off, because it's not a straight drop back to idle but a constant deaccelaration.

Pilot jets have been brought up from 42.5 to 45, the main jets have been brought up from 100 to 110.

The issue will not happen if the bike cant sustain its idle by itself and I'm holding my hand on the throttle, but will always happen if the bike sustains itself at idle.

Only seen the rpms go up to 4k by itself, have had it go higher but only once never again.

What part of the carbs should I be messing with? I know its low speed but which jet should I probably be tuning?
                  Last edited by timebombprod; 03-19-2021, 12:30 PM.
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

It's about quarter throttle when it happens.

Still having that inconsistent skip, I think the R/R or ignitor is shorting.

Had a choppy throttle for a little while but soon returned to a normal one, and when that happened, so did the short.

I've used a testlight on my ignitor checking the negative and positive wires that run from the timing setup and both had a negative light turn on.
                    Last edited by timebombprod; 03-19-2021, 02:28 PM.
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

“ I think the R/R or ignitor is shorting”

disconnect the charging system and find out. If you replaced spark plug wires by digging out old ones from ignition coils , that would be my first suspect for random misfiring
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                        “ I think the R/R or ignitor is shorting”

disconnect the charging system and find out. If you replaced spark plug wires by digging out old ones from ignition coils , that would be my first suspect for random misfiring
                        Leads are not the issue if that's what you're saying, already done the swap test. Really hoping it's a bad connection but it would have to be resolved by taking connections put of plugs and such.
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                        X