Dead cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead cylinder

82 gs850gl: bike started started running like *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$, usually when that happens its time for a calve adjustment. I did the adjustment and now my 2nd cylinder doesnt fire and is dumping tons of gas out the pipe. Has spark. Under load as well as a simple check. I cleaned the carbs. Same symptom. Im thinking stuck valve, but another notation is sticking float. But it didnt have this issue before i did the valves. I double checked my valve clearances and they seem legit. .05mm on that cylinder.
    Theres a ton of oil in the valve cover.

has spark. Plug is wet.(getting fuel) what should i check for?

Have you checked the fuel petcock? Oftentimes the vacuum diaphragm fails and dumps fuel down thru the vacuum hose into..... cylinder 2.
    Check your oil as well if this is the case. It will likely have gas in it.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Seeing you have said the bike was running rough before adjusted the valves follow Dorkburger's advice and check the petcock as flooding on cylinder 2 is a classic symptom of a faulty petcock.
      The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
      past bikes. RF900
      TL1000s
      Hayabusa
      gsx 750f x2
      197cc Francis Barnett
      various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
        Seeing you have said the bike was running rough before adjusted the valves follow Dorkburger's advice and check the petcock as flooding on cylinder 2 is a classic symptom of a faulty petcock.

can you explain further? The vacuum diaphragm has been compromised send constant fuel to the carburetor(as if it was in the prime position)? Because the “main” carb is the second? Where the fuel rail starts. Theoretically if it was providing constant fuel, my float should stop it in its tracks??

Comment

I definitely have had the tank off and the petcock doesnt appear to be leaking at all.

Comment

Check the CV carb clean manual in my sig.
            If you did not clean the carbs like that they will probably not run well.
            Bench test the carbs - so it's easier to see where they leak than on the bike ?

If the petcock is good (did you test it in all positions ?) the issue is "down the line".
            So leaky fuel line, float needles and/or seats, bowl gaskets, etc.
            Did you mount new gaskets and o-rings ?
            Last edited by Rijko; 02-24-2022, 04:36 PM.
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Chainsjawns View Post
              can you explain further? The vacuum diaphragm has been compromised send constant fuel to the carburetor(as if it was in the prime position)? Because the “main” carb is the second? Where the fuel rail starts. Theoretically if it was providing constant fuel, my float should stop it in its tracks??
              That's the problem with these old petcocks .... as soon as they go kaputt, 'theoretically' is the first to leave the building
              And if gas goes into the vacuum pipe, it bypasses the float.

And even new float seat/needle will leak as soon as dirt hits them.
              Good needles in old, dirty seats will stick/leak.
              (I polish the inside of the seats)

Dirty or rusty tank ? Your freshly cleaned carbs will leak when that dirt hits them.

Did you check the float clears the gasket ?
              Sometimes i have to trim the gasket for clearance on some carbs.
              Last edited by Rijko; 02-24-2022, 04:29 PM.
              Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                That's the problem with these old petcocks .... as soon as they go kaputt, 'theoretically' is the first to leave the building
                And if gas goes into the vacuum pipe, it bypasses the float.

And even new float seat/needle will leak as soon as dirt hits them.
                Good needles in old, dirty seats will stick/leak.
                (I polish the inside of the seats)

Dirty or rusty tank ? Your freshly cleaned carbs will leak when that dirt hits them.

Did you check the float clears the gasket ?
                Sometimes i have to trim the gasket for clearance on some carbs.

the vacuum line would leak into the cylinder only when vacuum is pulled?
                how would i test this, if thats the case? I have a second hand brake bleeder tool that may help.

Comment

Originally posted by Chainsjawns View Post
                  the vacuum line would leak into the cylinder only when vacuum is pulled?
                  how would i test this, if thats the case? I have a second hand brake bleeder tool that may help.

What they are suggesting is that the petcock has a problem such that it is dumping fuel down the vacuum line. THe vacuum line that is suppose to operate the petcock, it gets its vaccuum from a port on carb #2.
                  So, as a test: disconnect that vacuum line, Plug it off somehow so carb #2 isnt sucking in air thru that tube, put petcock on the PRIme position (so it can pass gas without vacuum), then run bike and see if symptoms go away. If the do, then know the petcock is the problem and get a replacement petcock.

Oh, dont leave the petcock on PRIme for a long time like over night.
                  http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                  Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Nobody has suggested doing a compression and leak down test on #2 ? At least that way you'll know its not a stuck valve or broken ring.

Mad
                    83 GS750E
                    2006 ZX14
                    2004 KTM 450 EXC
                    2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
                      Nobody has suggested doing a compression and leak down test on #2 ? At least that way you'll know its not a stuck valve or broken ring. Mad
                      Probably because we're focussed on the issue of #2 carb overflowing.
                      Though both tests you propose are good, they cannot cause that.

We've not done other things here ...

First off - welcome Chainsjawns, lots of knowledge here, have fun.

We have not pointed to the 'Top 10 Newbie Mistakes' thread.
                      Chainsjawns : check the link for that in my sig.

We have not asked for pictures yet !
                      Chainsjawns ... we love pictures of the bike.

Chainsjawns did not introduce himself ... so we don't know anything about the bike or OP.
                      How long the bike is in his posession, how long it ran right, what maintenance has been done on the bike,
                      what his knowledge/experience level is, etc.
                      Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                      Bikecliff's website
                      The Stator Papers

Comment

Working...
                      X