LED lights on old bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED lights on old bike

i dont plan on converting anything major to LED, but i might get rid of the middle section as my fuel gauge doesn't work anymore and I don't need the turn signal light, but what I would like is to have a neutral light still and the gear indicator would also be nice, i found this little light that does all of that in one little rectangle but it is an LED light, so im just curious if it was able to be ran or would i need to change something to the electrical system.
    Last edited by timebombprod; 03-20-2022, 03:16 AM.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

That shouldn't be a problem. Led lighting draws less current and the thing to consider if doing headlights would be that if you have a shunt type regulator then more energy is being dumped back to the generator which is probably not a good idea. If doing turn signals you will not have enough current for the old style flasher units to work unless you rig resistors to mimic the current draw of the filament bulbs.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks a bunch!
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

or you could try doing a search for LED Lights on the forum.
        Here's one of many treads dealing with the topic:

Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
          ..., i found this little light that does all of that in one little rectangle but it is an LED light, so im just curious if it was able to be ran or would i need to change something to the electrical system.
          If you could give a a few more hints, or maybe even a LINK to your little light, we might be able to give you better guesses.

Comment

Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

What bike is this and what is wrong with the original gear indicator and N light?
              Are you sure the switch at the bottom end is working?
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

It should work. There's nothing complicated about the gear indicator .
                +1. Why replace ? That's what I asked myself after doing it . I didn't need the extra amphour saved but it was an exercise I couldn't resist... ALL the OEM gauge lights can be directly replaced with leds excepting the turn indicators which are a tad tricky... Ebay! and careful selection of bulb types. Mostly it just needs to remember that leds will only work one way in the oem sockets used per polarity.and it is MUCH cheaper easier than buying and fitting a new farkle.

Comment

It was for a weight savings thing, not sure if I'm gonna get rid of the middle console now though, we will see.

Completely redoing bike so ideas are floating around a bit.
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                  X