Coil Mounting and Ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil Mounting and Ground

I'm nearing in on finishing out the reworking of my electrical system. I've been trying to de-L my L, but one switch over i wasn't expecting was changing over the coils. The L style coils that were on the bike are a mess, beat up, and more importantly, the spike inside when I removed the cables to try and refit came off with the cables due to age/corrosion. The good news is the donor bike I have has a set of functioning coils. The donor is an E, so I am fabricating some brackets since the L mounts differently. Should be fairly simple.

My question that I haven't been able to figure out going through old posts and manuals, is this: do the mounting bolts for the coil to the frame serve as ground points for the coils? I just want to make sure that if they do, I keep a bare-metal connection between my new brackets and the frame. Thanks!
    1980 GS1000GL, or will be again once it’s done.

No, they don't.

Mount the coils any way you wish; they do not need to have a ground connection via the mounting bolts.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      No, they don't.

Mount the coils any way you wish; they do not need to have a ground connection via the mounting bolts.
      Awesome, thanks! Electrical work is not my strong suit. I appreciate your help!
      1980 GS1000GL, or will be again once it’s done.

Comment

Working...
      X