Power terminal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power terminal

After 12 years of intermittent tinkering, the 79 GS1000 is nearly ready for the road.

All the notes and pics taken during disassembly were helpful for putting it all back together. One of the last bits is the installation of reworked electrical panel with the new-to-me SH775. (which was modified a couple of years ago). The 'electrical' tub is now empty except for the 'power terminal'.

I've searched the forum for pics and looked at parts diagrams for where the power terminal was situated or how it was wired in. I assume it was on the electrical panel.

Anyone? please..

1979 GS1000
    1981 GL500 Interstate

As is often suggested here - do a search. So second time around a thread from 2017 popped up. If this is correct, it is the answer.
    I'm a little nervous about putting power to the system after so long apart and not having a lot of electrical knowledge.

''It is an unnecessary auxiliary fuse. They were never hooked up to anything. I would remove it and it's bracket. It would make some nice space for a relay if you wanted one. It looks like you have the original split regulator and and rectifier. You would be wise to look into replacing them with a single Series R/R. Those old systems were very bad and were prone to overcharging and frying the stator''
    1979 GS1000
    1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Seek and ye shall find - a look at the '79 GS1000 owners manual revealed this info. Oldvet66's post is correct. The 'power terminal' is a non-necessary feature that can be removed without penalty. The space opened up on the electrical panel can be used for something else, in this case the larger SH775RR which replaces the stock rectifier/regulator.
      All is well.

1979 GS1000
      1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

You dared to use the "search" functions here? SHAME on YOU What did you expect to find among 45,000 posts about E V E R Y T H I N G? ?The answer? nooooo! say it ain't so!

Comment

lol That was a daunting act of courage and audacity. After going through several different search word strings that produced irrelevant information, wayward threads, inconclusive solutions and replies I didn't understand I soldiered on, got lucky and was rewarded after only 927 threads. I expect you are correct that everything possible about these bikes has been asked and answered. Onwards and upwards..
          1979 GS1000
          1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Working...
          X