Front brake light switch woe's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake light switch woe's

I bought a new brake light switch for my 83 850L because the brake light would randomly stay lit, and/or flicker, and/or not light at all when using the front brake. First I tried to clean it per the writeup on basscliffs, but that didn't fix it. The contact fell apart, the plastic holder broke on one side. So I bought a new one, installed it, same issue. I fiddled with the adjustment for a while, finally got it to work normally. Then when I squeezed the brake lever hard (simulate hard stop) the light stuck on. I have to remove the brake switch to turn it off. It's still flickering, and staying lit randomly. I cleaned the slot in the MC and the slot in the brake handle thinking it was sticking, but still having the issue. I'm out of ideas. It's such a simple switch, I don't understand why I'm struggling with it so much.

The only thing I'm unsure of is I broke the original brake lever when I dropped the bike, so I swapped the brake lever off my 81 850 to this bike. I don't recall if I had the brake light issues before that or not. Is the brake lever switch slot different between an 83 850L and an 81 850G? I wouldn't think it is, but... If that's not the issue, I'm at a complete loss and feel somewhat like an idiot for needing help with such a simple device.
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Same per list here

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

brakepressure switch.jpg I gave up on these and bought ebay pressure switches for all my suzukis.They're kind of ugly and where the wires come out wanted some stress relief but never had a problem since. This is a generic picture...
      Attached Files

Comment

Does the fitting just screw straight in, replacing the oem banjo bolt? How far does it stick out?
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yes-(replaces the banjo bolt) I'll hunt up a picture that shows how much-standby.

Comment

If going with the banjo bolt, be sure to get the proper thread size/pitch - 10mm x 1.00 pitch. Suzuki changed to the more common 1.25 pitch years later. I'm fairly certain of this info, but best to take your banjo bolt out of your MC and check it in a gauge (any decent hardware store has one).
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

​but It needn't look so bad as this might to some eyes-I don't notice it in reality but I found a 90 degree rubber boot that goes over wires and hose for the "Better" bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                brakepressure switch.jpg I gave up on these and bought ebay pressure switches for all my suzukis.They're kind of ugly and where the wires come out wanted some stress relief but never had a problem since. This is a generic picture...
                Good idea, thanks. Do you have a picture of yours installed?
                - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  Yes-(replaces the banjo bolt) I'll hunt up a picture that shows how much-standby.
                  Can you post a picture of yours installed?

Comment

Working...
                  X