Well, That's Annoying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, That's Annoying

Some years ago my 1000S stopped charging, I replaced the regulator and rectifier with the now 'go to' Shingdengen unit and while I was at it I also replaced the stator as it was looking black and smelled a bit burned. I know these things don't give problems so I was surprised when my one failed. My issue is that I was careful to try to make sure I'd got the genuine thing. It seems not, I can now see when the new replacement unit is right next to the older replacement that it is clearly fake. Now I don't know if the fake one is a shunt or a series that may or may not have been loading up the nice new stator I'd installed.
    Might anybody know?
    Thanks

P8112458.jpg
    Last edited by tatu; 08-18-2022, 08:24 PM.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

The biggest tell, real vs. fake, is the white printing on the top fin. Real one shown below. May also read SH775AA. From all I’ve read, AA and BA are virtually the same, possibly a minor max voltage output one vs. the other. If true, not enough to even worry about in my non-electrician opinion. If the white writing is not on the top fin, it’s a fake, and a shunt.

Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Almost guaranteed the fakes are shunts and the best thing that can be said about them is they might be MOSFETs inside. Even though the MOSFET circuitry is an improvement on the OE, the stator is still taking a hammering, so it will definitely be worth checking on it.
      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks for the answers, I had supposed it would be a shunt kind, I don't want to open up the stator because all's working ok, OEM gaskets are getting hard to come by and I'm too busy with other stuff. I had been careful to find the OEM but still caught out. I can't remember the white writing as I installed this a long time back and cut that end fin off to make a neater installation. All my other 1000 s' have originals. I get them from the States because UK just doesn't have and I like to keep one on the shelf for the next project.
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Looking at the unit that is mounted on the bike, you can see that the little round 'towers' are not in a straight line. Fake.

Did you put the colored dots on it? I have never seen that before on any genuine R/R.

Is the (hidden) metal plate on the back side shiny stainless? If not: fake.

As others have mentioned, it HAS to say SH775xx on the back fin.
          I think the BA version is from Polaris, the AA version is from SeaDoo.

Comment

As said previously, the small round towers not in a straight line are a dead give away for a fake. I have seen a few fakes with the white SH775A on them as well, but the writing is poorly applied and comes off easily with a brisk rub, unlike the genuine article.
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

My guess would be that it's a cheap shunt, unlikely to even be Mosfet. I wouldn't be replacing a working stator though.... for all the reasons you've stated & the fact that it's likely to go on for years with the new one fitted even if it did get hammered a bit.

Maybe source a gasket just in case while you can
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

This may help :

[
                Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

. “I wouldn't be replacing a working stator though.... for all the reasons you've stated & the fact that it's likely to go on for years with the new one fitted even if it did get hammered a bit.“

when I installed my SH-775 back in 2013, I left the tortured stator alone….never got more than 14 volts out of it, but it’s still working. I got two backup used stators just in case
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                    This may help :

[
                    Cool a handy clip thanks. I had been careful to buy what I thought was a genuine, all my other gs s' have them all original but this was the first one so I got caught out, incedntly it's also the only one that I had bought a new one all the others I put used s/h ones. Oddly the battery used to go flat on this bike it always had a drain on the battery that got worse till the wretched thing croaked.
                    It's so long ago now that can't remember the details why I changed the rotor as well but it would have been a good reason, I think because it was so crusty and smelled burned. I really hate being dumped by the side of the road so if I can see something a bit dodgy I will change/fix it. Thanks for the answers.
                    I see that these reg/recs have different models/numbers. All of mine are SH775 either AA or AB but I wonder what the other number/letters mean ie: FH020 I think they're also mossfet.I have seen these shingdengen types on yamaha outboards.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X