Coil advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil advice

I have a 1982 GS850 with bad coils. After looking for replacements, I’m seeing a wide variety of prices. Has anyone used the ones available on Amazon for about $35? Or is this one of those instances of you get what you pay for? Any help or advice appreciated.

The Impedance of the coils must match, be careful about that. Coils will not increase Horsepower, or make your bike faster. A lot of times the aftermarket coils aren't as good as the originals OEM coils, just think how long these have lasted. Of course you have to replace the spark plug leads too. I don't know what you looked at on Amazon, but I would rather buy low mileage OEM coils off of EBAY than some Chinese knock off coils and you know nothing about. IMHO. There are quite a few on EBAY now from $13 dollars to $20 dollars. .

2 coils, with wires and spark plug caps for $35 bucks:

Comment

I've never seen a OEM coil going bad on a GS, I'm sure they have but I've not seen it personally. That being said my 83 GS1100E had yellow Accel coils on it when I bought it, appx. 15 yrs ago. They're still on there and running perfectly, but if you touch a plug wire while bike running you get a jolt, and when riding at night you can see little blue sparks jumping here and there, I never had that with OEM.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yes, stick with used OEM Suzuki coils…they were matched to the ignitor…no sense experimenting! Plug caps could be iffy, but they are cheap to replace.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I noticed a set in a box recently.... Pretty sure they were from my 78 and were working when removed. PM me if you're interested.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Try looking into some Dynatek or Accel coils. Both are nearly similar in performance; I'm more partial to Dyna's atm.
            -"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

1981 GS750E "Jezebel II" *Current
            2008 Ninja 650R "Jezebel I" *Ongoing

Comment

Dyna coils are color-coded for impedance, but it seems that all Accel coils are yellow, so be careful. I think I remember reading here about someone that had Accel coils that were the wrong impedance and fried the ignitor.
              If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Stock are 4ohm. I have a set. You can run 3-5ohm ok in my experience.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Hi there,

I ordered 2 coils from RMStator on Ebay for 86 CA$ last fall for my GS850 1979.
                  I just wanted to replace the spark plug wires (they were cracked) but these came built-in the old coils. I guess these were no OEM. Anyway I ended up replacing the coils with these china made replacements. Fast next day delivery, cheap as f(**&%...
                  They work fine, but durability is unknowed as of now.

I couldn't / wouldn't shell out the premium price for a Dynatek / Accel replacement as it was over 300$CAD at that time with change rate + shipping + customs / tax.

I putted in new sparkplug as well.
                  The bike isn't coughing when wet anymore, so my problem is solved for now.

Just be sure you measure your coils correctly before tagging them as bad. It could be a problem with your 12 volts being too weak from bad connections or your ignition system being wacked out.

Cheers!

Frank
                  ------ Current rides: -----------------

Honda CT70 K0 1970 complete restoration in progress
                  Suzuki GS850 1979 as stock as could be... well except for the bars!
                  Yamaha FJ-09 2016 with OEM saddle bags for long distance running and gunning
                  Yamaha VStar 1300 2007 (wife's) for relaxing

Comment

Working...
                  X