GSX sealed beam headlight repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX sealed beam headlight repair

A car kicked up a rock that broke the front headlight lens on my GSXR. Normally the entire assembly would be replaced but parts are difficult to find. So I bought a used headlight assembly. The plastic was in bad shape but the glass had no chips or cracks. The lens is glued into the plastic and is not meant to ever be removed. Using a torch, I heated up the lens on my original assembly and the glue has a low enough melting temp that I was able to remove the lens in parts. Not wanting to damage the plastic, it took a few hours of careful effort.

I then used a rotary tool with an abrasive cutoff wheel to remove mos the the plastic surrounding the good lens. I then once again heated the good lens with the torch and slowly removed the plastic. The plastic is not thermoset. I used some of the donor's plastic to fuse the cracks in my original housing. After cleaning everything up. I once again heated the lens to where the glue would start to melt, then pressed it into my original assembly. The entire process took at least 4 hours but was successful.

If you try to do this repair, the glue will seem very hard and do not try to chip it away. You could heat a knife blade to get some idea how it melts.
Working...
X