1983GS750ES Tachometer not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983GS750ES Tachometer not working

I just bought this bike back after selling it 16 years ago. Tachometer is currently not working. I havent had a chance to dig into any troubleshooting yet but are there any common fail points I should check first?

Start with removing the cable. Unscrew it from the valve cover and the bottom it the tach. See if the inner cable is broken.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Oohh, "83", that's close to the start of the elect. tach., possibly no cable.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        Oohh, "83", that's close to the start of the elect. tach., possibly no cable.
        I think you may be correct. The parts fiche shows a speedo cable but no tach cable. It also has the newer TSCC engine with TSCC exposed on the valve cover.

Doesn’t trevor have an 83 750 ES? Maybe he could confirm.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I have that bike. No Tach cable. When the Tach goes dead, it may be the dreaded charging system going bad. If it hasn't been upgraded, search the threads, you'll need a new Stator (maybe0 R/R (Regulator/Rectifier), and wire it differently. I don't want to open a can of worms, but I have fixed many of these bikes by using the R/R off of a Yamahss XD1100, running the Stator wires directly to the R/R, which is mounted under the tool try, and run the +/- directly to the battery. That solved all the problems. I used an "Electrosports" Stator, 20% more power. The Yamaha R/R is big, has huge cooling fins, and has worked for over 10 years without any problems. I purchased my bike new.

Comment

You know im pretty sure when I owned this thing back in the day I replaced the regulator/rectifier it was overcharging.

Comment

Whats the best way to test if that is the case? Just measure charging output?

Comment

Replace it with an "Electrosports" R/R which regulates all 3 legs of the stator. The stock one only regulated one leg, and the other two legs swung up and down till the horrid grounds took them out. The Negative battery wire is grounded to the engine, and the place is not bare metal, it is on paint. Suzuki relied on the threads of the bolt to make the ground. The electrolysis finally catches up and kills the horribly designed charging system, no ground, and you have a floating 12volt system that just bakes everything connected to it.

What I did was buy an Electrosports Stator. I used a beefy XS1100 R/R,the one that has three male connectors for the stator, order does not matter, then ran the +/- directly to the battery with 2 12" wires. 12K miles later, no problem. I ran the wires from the new32 stator directly to the R/R. I pulled out the old stator wire. Around 6 feet of way too thin gauge wire, and I fixed all the grounds. I grounded the battery to the bolt that holds down the tank, making a bare spot on the frame, and also grounded the engine to the battery posts. The engine should be grounded for the spark plugs. The mounting bolts aren't good enough as they were put on a painted engine and will not ground the engine to the frame. This will fix your bike. I built my 1983 GS750ES out of the crate. I know that bike like that back of my hand. I also am a State of Connecticut licensed and certified electronic technician.

I'd use their stator, but go with a beefier R/R.

This one is used, but it's only $16 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                X