Electric problem, or gas/vacuum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric problem, or gas/vacuum?

Just got my 1982 GS650G going after a year. Motor turns over very well when I push the starter button, but dies when I release the button. Bike sounds great during this. Is this a wiring question or a carb question? I bypassed a broken clutch switch and start the bike in neutral. Thanks...

Do you mean it cranks but doesn't start ?

Could be both - make sure your petcock is working and then check for spark. Fuses maybe? Do you have a wiring diagram/field service manual?

Do you mean it starts when you push the button but dies when released?

I'm from the Show Me state and this I need to see because unless there's a major short somewhere this shouldn't be able to happen.
    When you have a key switch that excites the crank circuit like on a lawn mower - this can happen - a motorcycle doesn't have this.
    Current:
    1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
    1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
    1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
    1998 Chevy C2500
    1999 Rav4

Comment

Originally posted by Zanichbug View Post
      Just got my 1982 GS650G going after a year. Motor turns over very well when I push the starter button, but dies when I release the button. Bike sounds great during this. Is this a wiring question or a carb question? I bypassed a broken clutch switch and start the bike in neutral. Thanks...
      To also address the question asked by unfocused, I'll assume you mean the bike fires and runs when the starter button is pushed in by dies when the button is released. If that's the case my first instinct would be to go over the electrical system by properly cleaning and inspecting the overall wiring harness. If the problem persists then I'd focus on the parts of the circuit that feed power to the CDI box.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

If you mean motor runs (not just cranks over)…with starter button pushed in, could be kill switch grounding out when you release button. Consider using a small jumper wire to activate starter solenoid directly, thereby eliminating right switch and its wiring…it’s the small wire on solenoid that is the trigger…it gets fed 12 volt positive

your locations salty air plays havoc with Suzuki’s electrical, so definitely clean as much as you can…especially if bike has been sitting!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X