No announcement yet.

GSX 250 starter solenoid issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking the same thing Jim, even if just a few strands of pos. cable are intact, shouldn't click, but the fewer strands intact, the quicker they will heat up and cable getting hot was never symptom. Hard to believe nobody advised to connect, touch together, the 2 big lugs on the top of solenoid with a screwdriver or wrench, won't hurt a thing but kind'f scary if you're not expecting big sparks. That does the same thing the solenoid is supposed to do but on the outside end of the lug instead of inside the solenoid. If starter runs properly arcing at the top, you'll know the solenoid is not making contact on the inside.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

All of what you say is in the post at the start.

Anyway I am done with the solenoid as seems to be fixed. I am still concerned at the one test failure as I said at the start using resistance.

for info the only ohms resistance tests I did were at the start of the post. These advised on every YouTube channel when I had to research.

solenoid ohms tests GSX 250

Test 1: pass
      With solenoid not energised
      MM at 200 ohm setting
      MM to earth on solenoid and to ignition wire on solenoid.
      Should show 4ohms
      (note : higher res than simply measuring a wire as measuring a coil inside)

Test 2: fail
      Solenoid energised
      MM at 200 ohm setting
      MM probes between solenoid nodes.
      should be 0.2 ohms

[ mine showed 10 ohms ]

so an increase resistance than should be ?
      it works however ?
      what does this.mean ? tis on the way out ?

I am not asking for help now to sort a solenoid simply pointing out an unfortunate truth that a test has failed yet it works ! why ?
      UKJULES
      ---------------------------------
      Owner of following bikes:
      1980 Suzuki GS550ET
      1977 Yamaha RD 250D
      1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
      1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Originally posted by ukjules View Post

Test 2: fail
        Solenoid energised
        MM at 200 ohm setting
        MM probes between solenoid nodes.
        should be 0.2 ohms

[ mine showed 10 ohms ]

so an increase resistance than should be ?
        it works however ?
        what does this.mean ? tis on the way out ?

I am not asking for help now to sort a solenoid simply pointing out an unfortunate truth that a test has failed yet it works ! why ?
        If the battery is connected to one of the lugs you will not get a valid ohms reading.
        I mean, how will your ohm meter be able to differentiate between the current supplied by the battery in your ohm
        from the current supplied by the bike battery. Now if you disconnected the bikes battery from the solenoid's lug you would
        then get a valid ohms reading on the unloaded lugs.

Your starter motor works because enough amps are getting from one lug to the other lug and on to the starter motor.
        The starter motor is working with the battery voltage less the voltage dropped across the lugs.
        Which means the starter is running with lower voltage than it was designed for, but enough to make it spin.

Now I'm over my pay grade :-)
        Low voltage may overheat the armature and or the brushes in the starter motor if too much cranking?

I need some help here!
        Last edited by pdqford; 06-05-2024, 05:59 PM.
        Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
        1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
        1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

You’re doing fine …the starter motor circuit is designed to tolerate a battery voltage drop as motor engages…it’s sorta like a brief short circuit!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

first thing this morning failed again.
            clicked only .
            I am sure I heard however a click only on the starter motor too at same time .

after 5 mins of bridging solenoid posts , pressing key and time it worked. it will prob work all day now.
            not ideal and why is this is the question,?

as for the ohms test it is straight off YouTube. I'll find link as the test all do to test a solenoid.
            this off the bike mind and energised with a battery.

​​
            Last edited by ukjules; 06-06-2024, 06:37 AM.
            UKJULES
            1980 Suzuki GS550ET
            1977 Yamaha RD 250D
            1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
            1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Originally posted by ukjules View Post

as for the ohms test it is straight off YouTube. I'll find link as the test all do to test a solenoid.
              this off the bike mind and energised with a battery.

​​
              If you pay attention to which of the two circuits of the solenoid that YouTubeer is testing for resistance, this battery pack is not supplying voltage to the circuit being tested for resistance.with the ohm meter.

Comment

" After 5 min. of bridging solenoid posts". I'm not sure what you're say'in. What happened when you first bridged the posts? did the starter start turning the eng.? Did you leave them bridged for continues 5 min. and nothing happened, starter not turning eng.? If you bridged the posts (for sure 12V to starter) & nothing happened, problem got to be at starter, got to be bad pos. connection at starter, bad ground at starter, or bad starter. Starter grounds through mounting bolts, remove starter cover & be sure the mounting bolts are tight, check for tight connection on Pos. cable.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I think in this situation I would get a new solenoid, remove starter and strip it. Surely with commutator and brushes cleaned if there within specs and a little fresh grease on the bearings all will be good.
                  My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Let's forget this !
                    Reading from an individual on here that I should pay attention has done it for me.
                    No he should pay attention and not ever comment such rubbish on my posts again.

​​​​​Please don't comment again on my posts.

The way is clear ! as UK nut informs !
                    Consider this post closed.
                    I won't bother doing detailed analysis on this site again to help others.

UKJULES
                    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Dang, no need to get stirred up, he didn't just say "PAY ATTENTION", he's just say'in be sure you're pay'in attention to which circuit of the solenoid you are checking, as the 2 different circuits are checked different ways & have completely different readings. Please don't get aggravated with me, but all your tests, as well as the U-Tube guys tests, got me a little confused... I'm way simpler, If you check the voltage on the outlet side of the solenoid while key on and starter button pushed, if you get 12V, the solenoid has done its job, put 12V to the starter, that's all the solenoid ever does. But in your case, sometimes it works & sometimes it don't, you'll need to keep trying it over & over till you see the voltage at the outlet lug both when it cranks and when it don't crank. If you push the button &the lug "gets 12V" but starter doesn't turn eng., the problem got to be Pos. connection at starter, ground at starter, or starter itself. If when pushing the button, starter doesn't turn eng. & you're getting 0V at outlet lug, way most likely a bad solenoid, could be wiring feeding 12V to solenoid, but that would be much rarer.... Be sure, we're just trying to help get your GS up & as reliable as we can.... Good luck.

Comment

Just for future reference I just tested resistance in my 44 year old solenoid.

With the solenoid completely disconnected and laying on the bench, I read 3.5 ohms across the control circuit.

With voltage applied across the control circuit to activate the solenoid, I read 0.1 ohms across the big lugs.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I am gonna continue this thread as so interesting. The question is at the end.

GSX no start issue which came on suddenly and now strains to turn the starter motor 99% of the time -just clicks but may work 1% of the time.
                          Solenoid seemed fine , bought another and same result.

Anyway had to be down to the starter motor as if energise motor direct in bike it gives exactly the same results.

Removed starter motor and spins every time no probs at all on bench. Clearly must be brushes or dirt.

Dismantled the motor and noticed one of the magnets that is glued to the inside wall of the body was off !! . stuck to the rotor by magnetism and consequently spreading dust whenever the ignition pressed.

So cleaned up (pics attached ) tested commutator and all is fine (ohm tests).
                          I will clean commutator with 400 wet and dry.

Now these starters are hard to get ! I have a second hand one coming as they are not available now. Had to get one to protect bike.

I desire to fix the original that needs:

- the inner magnet glued back with loctite 325 that Is recommended for motor magnets ? Note in the pic there are raised notches that keep it in correct position one way and I can measure gap for other way. So can be sure in correct location .
                          and
                          - know how to replace the brushes ?
                          pic attached and I can't see how to take out one of the brushes ? one easy one seems impossible.

Q) Do all agree that glueing back with said loctite 325 is the only way open to me.
                          Q) In pic how on earth do you get one of the brushes out ?
                          note - brushes both at 10.1mm and ok till 9mm service manual informs so I ask not needing to do if I can't find out . I just can't see a way
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by ukjules; 06-15-2024, 11:18 AM.
                          UKJULES
                          1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                          1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                          1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                          1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Starter motor brushes. The bottom one in pic ? Top one slides out after removing spring. Bottom one seems connected under plate that is riveted
                            Attached Files
                            UKJULES
                            1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                            1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                            1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                            1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Rotor and commutator. This tests fine on all Ohm tests. Will clean commutator with 400 paper.
                              Note this was black when I opened up the motor.

so 2 questions. what glue and how get the brushes out ?
                              and has anyone else had luck glueing up their starter motor ?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ukjules; 06-15-2024, 12:55 PM.
                              UKJULES
                              1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                              1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                              1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                              1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Can you believe it .... what I ordered on the right ...
                                (original on the left)
                                Thats two balls ups in one month .....

Won't fit ! So its all on the glue on the original

Attached Files
                                UKJULES
                                1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                                1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                                1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                                1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Working...
                                X