No announcement yet.

GSX 250 starter solenoid issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be useful to know if loctite 326 can be used without an activator ? (I don't have the activator).
    Be useful to know others experience.

I intend to apply without and wait for as many days it takes to fully cure. I don't think it has lesser properties using without the activator.
    UKJULES
    ---------------------------------
    Owner of following bikes:
    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Update:
      Glue arrives tomorrow. Worst case scenario is to a
      local motor electrical place here to sort. Seems
      this sort of thing is well known to these people.

what amazes me is that this exact starter motor is unavailable now. not even a replacement made for the GSX 250 is available. A few for sale for.mad prices in Europe and that's it.

But I will glue it as there is zero doubt that Loctite 326 is the right glue. so I will see how it lasts me doing it.
      UKJULES
      1980 Suzuki GS550ET
      1977 Yamaha RD 250D
      1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
      1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Originally posted by ukjules View Post
        Be useful to know if loctite 326 can be used without an activator ? (I don't have the activator).
        Be useful to know others experience.

I intend to apply without and wait for as many days it takes to fully cure. I don't think it has lesser properties using without the activator.
        I don't think it will do much without the activator.
        If you don't have the activator, why not just use an epoxy two-pack?
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I'm like him ^^^^ wouldn't attempt without activator. And would really hate using anything till I knew it would work. You said you have a local motor & electrical place, Why not ask them what works good? I've usually had pretty good luck by asking questions.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Ok disaster !
            Glue arrived in small tube. consistency of mixed areldite. pasted on back of magnet , stuck in magnet - all good.
            No activator.
            BUT
            Remember the magnet was damaged and I could see it was not fitting correctly as worn. I hoped anyway.
            ANYWAY
            I left it for 4 hours and I just had to know if the rotor would go through with this possibly mishaped magnet.
            It didn't. It stuck on one end.
            - either I put too much glue on the back making rotor jam last few cm's
            - magnet was so deformed it never was gonna work
            - I had it a millimetre to far in and raised on one of the pins.

All possible but it didn't work (read on). Probably never was gonna anyway.

So out with the magnet :
            The glue in just 4 hours was so strong I have had to use a hammer and screw driver to get it out. Even that is not good enough and I will have to use a Dremel probably to get It all out.
            The strongest glue I have ever known !!!!!!

So the glue is as strong as you can get for sure !
            I cleaned area with brake cleaner beforehand only.

- I will take unit to an electrical place now and ask can you get magnets for this and fit together.

if not I need to get another starter motor which are not about. not for human being sort of prices .
            1980 Suzuki GSX250E
            31100-11410
            Last edited by ukjules; 06-19-2024, 03:02 PM.
            UKJULES
            1980 Suzuki GS550ET
            1977 Yamaha RD 250D
            1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
            1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

p.s I researched that this glue is the right stuff and very strong !!! It says nothing about using an activator on the packet either !
              Whatever I now know it doesn't need it !

(gonna fix my broken Murano glass vase from Venice with it now) areldite has never held it !

So it's bump start bike with a good battery I suppose .
              I was gonna start a thread of ' how to add a kick starter to a gsx250' but assume that would be the final straw for the moderators .....
              Attached Files
              Last edited by ukjules; 06-19-2024, 03:03 PM.
              UKJULES
              1980 Suzuki GS550ET
              1977 Yamaha RD 250D
              1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
              1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Have sent 10's of emails (with full spec and size) around the world and I have one response who will ask their suppliers where a very similar starter motor is made to see what can be done about this starter that has dropped out of the market.
                A can do person who will contact the manufacturer of the almost right Suzuki replacement and then the makers. I have no doubt I am talking to China now for this part.

I am convinced there can not be a massive variation of circumference of Japanese starters and hence at the very least magnets that can be sourced .

​​​​
                UKJULES
                1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Working...
                X