Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No spark on number 4, looking for coils.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No spark on number 4, looking for coils.

I bought a 1979 GS550E last year and rode it for about 100 miles before putting it away for winter with no issues.

This spring I pulled it out put fresh gas in but it ran poorly. Narrowed it down to not spark on number 4. So I changed the plugs cleaned the point and put new lower resistance caps on, they looked old, to no help.

I took out the multi meter and found I had no continuity between wire 1 and 4, like I have with 2 and 3. I figured it must be a broken wire so I order those. They can in and as I'm taking the old ones out of the seemingly factory coils, the wires twisted off inside the coil.

So here I am with coils that do not seem to have replacable wires and bike that doesn't run, with still no idea why I don't have continuity between 1 and 4.

Ps. The wire was fine .

So I'm looking for a set of coils and at this point I'll just change both coils as I think it might have been an internal coil failure but all my other test points seem fine.
    Last edited by Rusty_Machine; 06-12-2024, 08:39 AM.
    79 Gs550 (first bike)

with still no idea why I don't have continuity between 1 and 4.

well , you found out that that the coil/plug wire connection was weak. Since you still have the points ignition setup, you might be better off looking for used coils….lots of newer versions have lower primary resistance which stress the points more…..but I’m guessing here.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Any coils with between 4-5 ohms will work. Z1 Enterprises, Amazon, eBay, etc, have coils like these.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I use 4.3 ohm coils from the Katana era of motorcycles. I don't use caps and run stock plugs.

Current:
        1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
        1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
        1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
        1998 Chevy C2500
        1999 Rav4

Comment

Try unscrewing the cap and trimming 1/4 inch off the wire and screw the cap back on. Could be as simple as a bad connection
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty_Machine View Post
            I bought a 1979 GS550E last year and rode it for about 100 miles before putting it away for winter with no issues.

This spring I pulled it out put fresh gas in but it ran poorly. Narrowed it down to not spark on number 4. So I changed the plugs cleaned the point and put new lower resistance caps on, they looked old, to no help.

I took out the multi meter and found I had no continuity between wire 1 and 4, like I have with 2 and 3. I figured it must be a broken wire so I order those. They can in and as I'm taking the old ones out of the seemingly factory coils, the wires twisted off inside the coil.

So here I am with coils that do not seem to have replacable wires and bike that doesn't run, with still no idea why I don't have continuity between 1 and 4.

Ps. The wire was fine .

So I'm looking for a set of coils and at this point I'll just change both coils as I think it might have been an internal coil failure but all my other test points seem fine.
            Those wires can be replaced, not easily, but it's possible. The epoxy that holds the wires in can be chipped/ scraped out and new wires glued back in. There is a pin or spike in the center of the hole the wire goes in, so be careful digging the old wire out as not to damage the spike thing. I found all the stuff at the local auto parts store to do this. Will look for any pics I have of it.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
            X