What Reg Rec To buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ccitis View Post

Ok. I am trying to learn electrical... so what happens to the stuff that is on that orange/ orange green circuit into the harness?
    If you are changing the R/R, I find no Orange or Orange/Green wire that connects to the R/R.

Right, so I can account for all the other wires... I have a diagram I can see that, but the new reg rec does not have a connection for the orange black. So what do people do with this to close the loop?
    I have been through two wiring diagrams for the GS1100 bikes. No place can I find an Orange/Black wire. And the legend for wire colors on these diagrams don't even list an Orange/Black as a wire color.

Maybe you have a bike that had the wiring modified by a PO.​
    Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
    1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
    1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Any chance of a picture of the old R/R or how many connections in and out does it have?
      The original would have had five connections. Three inputs from the generator, one supply,red, to a tee in the harness and a ground which may not be a wire but just grounding through the casing.
      Some alternate R/R had more wires. For example a separate sense wire and a separate ground wire in addition to the four mentioned above.
      The Orange/Green is probably the bike's supply wire for lights, horn etc and this could be a choice for location of a 'sense' wire for one of those fancy R/R.
      With the SH 775 setup you revert to stock with three inputs from the generator, red output to the harness tee and a ground wire to a good earth.
      The wire to the Orange/Green wire is redundant.
      Last edited by Brendan W; 09-15-2024, 05:40 AM.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Ok, so I have done some thinking. Pics below are of the RR. I have a feeling this is an old replacement. As you can see, it has a orange black, that goes to an orange wire. So what I need to figure out, is what that orange wire needs to do now with the new RR. Fun Fun. Any thoughts are helpful.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

IMG_0171 (1).jpg
          Second photo of harness

Comment

photo of the molex connector where the old RR connected. Also had the stator connector. IMG_0147.jpg

Comment

Ok, so I have done some thinking. Pics below are of the RR. I have a feeling this is an old replacement. As you can see, it has a orange black, that goes to an orange wire. So what I need to figure out, is what that orange wire needs to do now with the new RR. Fun Fun. Any thoughts are helpful.
              Does that regulator pictured have 5 or 6 wires going into the regulator?

And I see three yellow wires coming out of the regulator and going into that black sheathing but only two yellow wires coming out of the black sheathing and connected to that black connector. Where does that third yellow wire go if not connected to the black connector?

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post
                Does that regulator pictured have 5 or 6 wires going into the regulator?

And I see three yellow wires coming out of the regulator and going into that black sheathing but only two yellow wires coming out of the black sheathing and connected to that black connector. Where does that third yellow wire go if not connected to the black connector?
                6 wires. Just the angle. All are accounted for except this orange/orange black. I wonder if I can just split off the red power wire, and power the circuit that way.... Obviously it has been messed with in the past!

Comment

Is your new R/R a five or six wire type?
                  I run a five wire SH775. Three generator inputs, red + output to harness and black - to ground.
                  The original set up was five wire on most if not all of these machines.
                  Six wire units can be used with wiring additions.
                  You can revert to five no problem.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

6 wires. Just the angle. All are accounted for except this orange/orange black. I wonder if I can just split off the red power wire, and power the circuit that way.... Obviously it has been messed with in the past!
                    Ah, so six wire is not the original regulator!

I'm gonna guess that the Orange/Black wire coming out of the regulator is a sensing wire to monitor the system's voltage and is not a Suzuki wire or wire color. Looks like a PO connected that Orange/Black wire to the solid orange wire (which is a Suzuki original wire). That Orange wire comes from the ignition switch and is only hot when the ignition key is in the "on" position, allowing the regulator to monitor system voltage when the key is "on".

Now for the rest of my question from my previous post:

"And I see three yellow wires coming out of the regulator and going into that black sheathing but only two yellow wires coming out of the black sheathing and connected to that black connector. Where does that third yellow wire go if not connected to the black connector?"

Comment

That R/R looks aftermarket. The stock wiring for the 1100E has 5 wires going to the R/R. I don't want to guess what that Orange/Black wire is for, since a wrong decision could damage something.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Now that I know that the original was a 5 wire setup, I should be able to just re wire back to the stock config. We shall see how that goes. Waiting on a gasket for the cover... in the mail. Still have an oil leak at the case seam that is driving me nuts.... lol

Comment

Working...
                        X