Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning Rubber Smell

Hello All,

New here to the forum just got my first bike 82’ gs450t and I absolutely love it. A couple weeks ago it died when trying to start and after testing my stator (resistance and ground continuity) it signaled I needed a replacement. So I got a new Rick’s stator and a SH775 R/R as suggested on the forum. However, after replacing both I’m noticing a burning wire/rubber smell when my bike is running. Also the voltage is slightly above 12.5v when running at 2-5 rpm, so it’s not recharging that well. Really struggling to figure out what is going on, just want to get out and ride!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John​

Also forgot to add the stator bypasses the working harness and is wired directly to the R/R.

Comment

Just a thought. Replacing the components is only part of fixing the charging system. The old setup failed when a combination of the old RR shunting the excess voltage and corrosion caused resistance and heat in the wires between stator and RR.

In wiring in the new stator and SH775, you should have replaced all connections between the 2, including elimination of the headlamp loop and wiring all 3 stator legs directly to the RR. It is also important to clean up all ground connections wherever they connect to chassis, engine block, RR, and battery -.
      Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; Today, 09:54 AM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Make sure the 3 stator wires aren’t pinched somewhere …either that wiring clamp or starter motor cover
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thank you both gentlemen. So I wired the stator directly to the R/R the negative directly to battery negative. However, after looking at the SH775 diagrams, should the positive go to the harness then to the battery? Or just straight to the battery positive terminal? Also, if I’m bypassing the wiring harness do I still need to eliminate the headlamp loop? Appreciate it.

Comment

This is the way. If you wired it like this, you HAVE eliminated the headlamp loop. Diagram courtesy Ed Ness (nessism).

To understand your voltage numbers better, it would be helpful to us if you read this Quick Test Thread,
            Then posted all six of the numbers you get.

Quick Test Steps:

1.) key off................Normal 12.7 volts-12.9 volts

2.) key on (but not cranking with lights for 10 sec).....Normal 12.2-12.5 volts

3.) at idle (1500 rpm).....12.6volts - 13.2volts

4.) at 2500 rpm 13.5 -14.0 volts

5.) at 5000 rpm.....14.0 -15.0 volts

6.) key off.....slightly higher than measurements # 1 (12.8-13.0 v)​

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; Today, 06:12 PM.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
            X