R/r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/r

Hi everyone . I have a 6 wire r/r , there is 3 Yellow which i have located where they go . 86 GS850G

One Black wire
    One Red/White wire
    One Brown wire ??? Its not listed on any wiring diagrams ???

Any ideas please ?
    Last edited by Retrosteve; 09-28-2024, 10:20 AM.

Voltage sense wire. Should go to any switched power.
    - David

80 GS850GL
    Arlington, TX

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ARMNMTNDSDTXsm.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by dgates1 View Post
      Voltage sense wire. Should go to any switched power.
      Thank you for your help . Now to put it all back together again for the 5th time

Comment

Be sure to bypass the stator loop up to the hand control. Wire straight from the stator into the R/R.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Do i use all the 6 wires once the loop has been bypassed .
          Could someone confirm where to connect -

3 Yellow
          1 Black
          1 White/Red
          1 Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Retrosteve View Post
            Do i use all the 6 wires once the loop has been bypassed .
            Could someone confirm where to connect -
            3 Yellow---------------Go to the stator
            1 Black----------------Goes to ground
            1 White/Red---------Goes to battery
            1 Brown---------------Goes to a switched power source.

Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
            1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
            1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post

3 Yellow---------------Go to the stator
              1 Black----------------Goes to ground
              1 White/Red---------Goes to battery
              1 Brown---------------Goes to a switched power source.

Ok thats how i have connected it but there is just one more Red wire connected to the Red/White wire running up the loom to the front of the bike . should that be connected to the r/r ?
              Last edited by Retrosteve; 10-01-2024, 10:00 AM.

Comment

The original stator wires, one was white/green (this means white with a green stripe). It went to the handlebar lighting control, and returned as white/red (I believe this is what you mean by Red/White - see how that's not the same thing?).

If you have a Red wire connected to this white/red wire, I don't understand that at all.

If I'm misunderstanding you, forget everything I wrote here, I'm probably not helping. Sounds like someone FUBAR'ed your wiring before you got in there.

The original R/R and the popular replacement SH775 RR do not have this 6th brown (sense?) wire. So I can't speak to that. I would only guess that pdqford is correct and you'd want to connect that to a switched (on with the key, otherwise off) 12V source.

When we say eliminate the headlamp loop, this is what we're saying. Leave those original White/green and White/Red disconnected, Tape them up and shove them somewhere, anywhere, they won't matter anymore. You take the 3 wires from the stator and connect them directly (some solder, some crimp new connectors, some do both) to the 3 yellow wires from the R/R.

Look at this wiring diagram, lower part, in from the right. The Stator is referred to as a Generator on the diagram, to the left of the Regulator/Rectifier. You should be able to clearly see what I'm talking about.
                This may not be your exact bike, but close enough.
                Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 10-01-2024, 10:56 AM.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Retrosteve View Post

Ok thats how i have connected it but there is just one more Red wire connected to the Red/White wire running up the loom to the front of the bike . should that be connected to the r/r ?
                  Not if the Red/White wire is connected to the battery, in which case just tape off the Red wire so it can't get to a ground.

In a stock wiring setup that red wire used to carry the DC output of the regulator about a foot up into the loom where it is mechanically spliced to feed both the ignition switch and a round about way back to the battery. Often times that mechanical splice turns green and introduces even more resistance into the regulators output.

I would suggest you do a search on here to see how folks convert to the SH775 regulator to keep from over heating many of the connectors and improve the voltage available to the whole electrical system.

Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                  1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                  1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

It does look like that red wire is greenish in the core so will disconnect that and tape up and see what happens . I like a challenge .,,, just as well as 2 float bowls have overflowed

Comment

The sense wire likely says you have a Honda RR fitted. A reasonable upgrade before we knew any better… these days everyone fits a MOSFET Shindengen RR. SH775
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                      X