RR testing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RR testing question

So I went through the tests for the RR and I got to the part where I take it off the bike to find out if it's working correctly or not. I setup the multimeter for testing diodes and it shows a 1 right off the bat for no continuity. This makes sense but then when I hooked it up as you can see in the attached picture it shows me the same 1 which means that the juice isn't going through it at all. I really don't know why this would be the case since I hooked the positive up to the + out and the negative to any of the yellow wires coming out that are from the stator. When I was testing it before, it was showing that it was charging part of the time and part of the time not at all. The stator papers don't mention what it means if the result is 1 so could someone fill me in with what I'm missing? Thanks!

I tested it like the book says as well with negative to ground and positive to 3 wires, and got 1 for all of them so no continuity. Then switched it like the book says and got 1 for two of them and 518 for the other. I don't even know what that means. :/ Hoping one of you does, thanks again!

ALSO, I noticed that in the stator papers it says to use the diode setting for these tests, however, it shows the results in volts... So am I using the diode setting which should be ohms or am I using dc volts?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2010, 07:38 PM. Reason: Adding info

Originally posted by bobiii84 View Post
    So I went through the tests for the RR and I got to the part where I take it off the bike to find out if it's working correctly or not. I setup the multimeter for testing diodes and it shows a 1 right off the bat for no continuity. This makes sense but then when I hooked it up as you can see in the attached picture it shows me the same 1 which means that the juice isn't going through it at all. I really don't know why this would be the case since I hooked the positive up to the + out and the negative to any of the yellow wires coming out that are from the stator. When I was testing it before, it was showing that it was charging part of the time and part of the time not at all. The stator papers don't mention what it means if the result is 1 so could someone fill me in with what I'm missing? Thanks!

I tested it like the book says as well with negative to ground and positive to 3 wires, and got 1 for all of them so no continuity. Then switched it like the book says and got 1 for two of them and 518 for the other. I don't even know what that means. :/ Hoping one of you does, thanks again!

ALSO, I noticed that in the stator papers it says to use the diode setting for these tests, however, it shows the results in volts... So am I using the diode setting which should be ohms or am I using dc volts?
    reverse the wires and see if it shows 500 ohms or so. the red to the black and black to yellow wires and check them all again.

If you don't get a reading don't be surprised, failures are common. PM me for a Honda RR kit if it's bad.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

If the stator checks good and you have checked the wiring? JUst replace the regulator the tests are not accurate

Comment

Originally posted by bobiii84 View Post
        Originally posted by duaneage View Post
        reverse the wires and see if it shows 500 ohms or so. ...
        I have been using meters with "diode test" functions for several years and have been under the impression that, when using that function, the meter puts out a bit more voltage than the standard "Ohms" setting. This is enough voltage to break down the junction inside the diode, and the display will show the breakdown voltage.

When set in the "Ohms" position, the output of the meter is too low to trigger that breakdown, so it is more likely to give you a resistance reading, which will be relatively low in one direction and very high in the other.

Either of these tests will work, but the diode test is better.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You can use the meter in the ohms mode, hook the diode to the meter using your probe leads take a reading, after taking the initial reading, swap the probe leads and take another reading, if the high reading is less than ten times the low reading then it is bad (it's weak). If it reads "OL" (infinite) on the high side and has a given reading of (for example) 10K ohm on the other it is good, if it reads "OL" on both readings it's bad, it has opened, if it reads 0.0000 on both readings again it's bad, it has shorted.
          Using the meter in diode mode basically allows you to check it under a load to see if the bias is working by using the meters internal battery.
          All that a diode is is a one way valve for electricity.
          http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/imag...TXUTWAWIsm.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Working...
          X