GS450E No spark 1980

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450E No spark 1980

I'm trying to help my poor and I do mean poor nieghbor get his GS450 going. It was running, and then the ignitor smoked( literally). So we bought some coils and CDi of fleabay. He hooked it all up and no spark? WTF. This stupid bike was running with mismatched coils, bad wires and a dying ignitor. Put the good stuff on and no dice. Not looking for the instant cure, just were should I start. Yes I do have power to the coils.

Thanks,
    Dave

Ebay stuff is junk?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

That's surely possible. Is there any reliable way to test the ignitor? I'm sure there is already something about the coils around her someplace.

Comment

Originally posted by madbikebreaker View Post
        That's surely possible. Is there any reliable way to test the ignitor? I'm sure there is already something about the coils around her someplace.
        Hi,

Have a look at the "Electrical Odds and Ends" section of my website. I've collected a few troubleshooting procedures. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Chances are basscliff has the ignitor test on his website.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Dang Cliff
            Outta nowhere.

Comment

OK, I have found the ignition test pages and plan to go through it on sat. But today we hooked up the old ignitor and turn on the ignition and it starts to smoke and stink? So I know we have power to the ignitor, but no spark with either the frying unit or the replacement that does nothing. SO my best guess to this point is the new ignitor is a total dud? Can I mod the ignitor from my parted GS750 to work? My friend is losing hope.

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X