RR question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RR question

So I have a question about the stator papers. I was going through on of the flowcharts when I came across the section showing how to diode test the RR. I hooked my diode tester up and got odd results. Why do the stator paper results for diode testing show in Volts when diode testing is still measuring in Ohms? I had even bought a new RR and am getting the same results. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by bobiii84 View Post
    Why do the stator paper results for diode testing show in Volts when diode testing is still measuring in Ohms?
    That's because diode testing is NOT done in ohms.

The "diode test" setting on the meter increases the voltage output on the meter leads to the point that the diode junction will break down.
    The reading on the meter is the breakdown voltage.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well here's the thing. I tested the old RR and got 1 for the reading. Then I tested the NEW RR and still got 1 for the reading. I'm really confused... Is my multimeter not putting out enough to get a reading???
      Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2010, 12:45 AM.

Comment

You sure you're in the diode test?

A good reading should be between 500 and 600. Check both directions.

If you are reading in OHMS, you should get a low reading in one direction and a high reading in the other.
        Some meters read "1" for high, others will show "OL".

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Okay so I tested both ways and one way shows 500-600 ohms while the other shows 1 on all. So seems that the new one is good However, I replaced some burned wires and cleaned a handful of connections then put this new RR on and have another issue. The wires from my old RR are all yellow. The new one has a yellow, a blue/white, and a red/white I think. According to the stator papers and diagrams in the book it shouldn't matter how I connect those three right? So I can connect any of the black stator wires to any of those three wires right? I ask because when I hooked it all up again it was difficult to start and didn't seem to want to stay running. And is there any chance this RR is the wrong one for my bike? It doesn't look like the TSCC model, whatever that means, but those wires WERE all yellow. Thanks!

Comment

Hi,

Yes, the order doesn't matter when connecting the three output wires from the stator to the three input wires on the r/r unit. Being difficult to start or stay running could be a combination of many other issues, like a weak battery, gummy carbs, bad spark, corroded electrical connections, air box not installed, etc.

1. Clean carbs
            2. Proper valve clearances
            3. Sealed air intake system (including the attached airbox)
            4. Well-maintained charging system

Have you had a chance to read through the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome"?

TSCC means Twin Swirl Combustion Chamber.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yes I read through the welcome and love the info that you guys have accumulated. Thanks for answering my question, the problem is that it started up just fine before and the battery is new. I think I'll get it running and warm it up and see what it does. I replaced a few wires, one of them with a wire about twice as long but I don't think that should affect it. I'll let you know how it goes and thank you!

Comment

Hi,

Do you have a battery charger/tender/maintainer? You can pick one up at Wal-Mart for about $20. Use that to keep your battery fully charged until you can go through the Stator Papers and completely diagnose your charging system. But first make sure your carbs are clean and the valves clearances are properly adjusted. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X