Charging Question--R/R related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging Question--R/R related

My battery just died on my 79 750. Thank God for kickstarters!

Anyway, last summer I pretty much went through the entire charging systems of both my bikes and they were working great.

I have a rebuilt honda R/R on my 79. I charged the battery back up and had them load test it at Batteries Plus (where I got it-Sealed Battery) and it checked out just fine.

I got back, put it on my bike, and was just getting 13.15 volts at 3000 rpms. I really couldn't get it much higher.

I checked the stator wires and I got well over 60 volts on all three at 4500 rpms.

Does that automatically mean it's the R/R? I have had issues figuring out the correct way to test the R/R. The stator papers don't say whether to have the bike running or not. If the bike is running how can you test the R/R with the stator wires all unplugged?

Anyway, if someone can simplify or clarify the R/R test for me that would be great. I am guessing based on the info above it is the R/R that is failing.

Thanks for any help!

Rick

Need the results of the following tests

Comment

Do you mean the Phase A test?

When I tested with the bike running, the highest reading I get is 13.15 volts (at 2000 to 5000).

I have both the positive and negative wires of the R/R going right to the battery so I know it is not those.

Rick

Comment

Rick, someone said there were a batch of junk BattPlus batteries out there. Can you try the charging test with another battery ? I wouldnt trust the BattPlus load test.....
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Rick

Perhaps you could do the test with the other battery from your 78? If both are the same that should rule out the battery problem? Unless they are both Batt Plus batteries!

Comment

No, the other battery is from somewhere else.

I will try it and see.

Thanks for the idea Dave!

Rick

Comment

I sent you my address, if you want to exchange the RR you got from me last year send me the old one and I'll exchange it. I don't think it's the problem but there is a first for everything
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks Duane!

You are very kind!

I just sent my address back to you via a pm.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                  Rick, someone said there were a batch of junk BattPlus batteries out there. Can you try the charging test with another battery ? I wouldnt trust the BattPlus load test.....
                  So, is it possible then that the R/R and Stator are working, but a bad battery will cause/show a low charging state? (13.2 volts verses the acceptable range of 14.5+).

Comment

Working...
                  X