No announcement yet.

Seized Engine....I thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ all....gents (sorry if I'm ASSuming that you are all male), thanks a million. followed some of the links you gave me and realized something very important, the petcock I'm using is not the correct one. the PO included of bag of misc. crap. there were several styles of petcocks in the bag. The one I fitted to the tank was the cleanest, so i assumed (i am seeing a pattern here) that it was the correct one. I'll try out a few of the others and keep you posted.

Comment

Ok, i'm back and I've got more questions. So i was able to rebuild that correct petcock with a bunch of parts I had been given. Petcock is installed and at this point, NO LEAKS.
      but now my bike will not start. I doesn't have a kick start. When I push the start button, it turns over, just won't fire up. Here's what I've tried so far:

on flat ground (tried bike on side stand and center stand):
      - start on full choke
      - start with no choke
      - start with fuel tap on RES
      - start with fuel top on ON

on a slight incline (hoping to dump more fuel and pressure on the petcock):
      - start on full choke
      - start with no choke
      - start with fuel tap on RES
      - start with fuel top on ON

I took off the cap, complete disassembled it, cleaned all the moving parts including the bearing. Note, the rubber vent gasket needs to be replaced.

Ok, any suggestions?

Comment

Are you sure fuel is getting to the carbs ? I have clear fuel lines on my bikes so I can watch it.....

The "rebuilt" petcock may not be functioning properly.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

do you have the vacuum line hooked up to the petcock? does it have a 'pri' setting?

Comment

When the petcock is set to ON or RES only engine vacuum will allow fuel to flow. Switch it to PRI and fuel should flow all the time. You may want to disconnect the fuel line and see if it flows when set to PRI. If it does, reconnect it, set it to PRI, and see if it will start.

Comment

No PRIme on this petcock. Only RES and ON. my local autoparts store doesn't care clear fuel line. But, I've taken the float bowl screw off several times and there is definitely fuel in the carbs.
              I suspect that the issue is with the vacuum line. I installed a new line, but I can't really tell if the engine is creating vacuum. I would guess that is has to be since I'm finding fuel in the float bowls.
              I've also taken out both spark plugs and wiped them down to ensure that I'm getting spark.

Side issue.... When trying to start is earlier, I had the bike on the side stand and the wheel turned. I went to pull my key out and turned the key to the "PARK" position which locks the steering assy. Now I can't get the damn thing to unlock. Could be the 90 degree heat, but man I'm a little frustrated today.

Comment

just thought of something, kind of a long shot, but when i rebuilt the carbs I took the airbox out. After reassembly, I put everything back together, but didn't put filter back in airbox. Could these bike be that finicky? Can't test now because I'm at work.

Comment

Hi,

Try pushing the key down into the ignition switch just a little, then turn to release it from the "Park" position. You don't really want to use that position as it turns on the tail light and can run down your battery. When you park the bike, turn the key to the left, all the way to the "Lock" position to lock the forks.

These bikes like a well-sealed air intake system. From the factory, the carbs have been jetted to see a certain volume of air taken into the system. If you change the air flow you must change the jetting. So, yes, use the a clean air filter in a properly sealed air intake system (airbox, boots, etc).

Airbox Sealing:
                  (by Mr. Roostabunny)

Air Intake Repair:
                  Airbox removal, intake boots and O-ring replacement

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

@basscliff....thank you sir. I have tried everything I can think with the key. I ended up posted the same issue in another section and was pretty surprised to find that this seems to be a known issue. One which seems to have a 50/50 success rate in terms of unlocking the assy. I plan to take it apart and see where that gets me.

Regarding the airbox, i will stick the filter back in and see of that helps. My other thought is whether I should us a full tank of gas. I was avoiding a full fill-up because the tank is not properly mounted (primed and ready for paint).

How would I go about checking the vacuum? If I remove the vacuum from the petcock port and put it against my skin while pushing the start button, should I feel it trying to suck?

Comment

Yes you would feel suction

What did you set the float height to ?

Or have you done much to the carbs yet ?
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2010, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X