Signal relay issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signal relay issue

I have narrowed my signal problems with my 700es down to the relay I think? Where do you get one of these? Have not been able to locate one on BikeBandit or any other online parts store....

I use a generic electronic one from Kragen on both my bikes... Costs about 5 bucks. They are round but mount in the same spot with a cable tie...

Possible I might have a spare stock one. I know I have one on my Falcon but I should have had 2 of them so prob a spare in a box out there somewhere.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Same here. Used a $3 generic one from local autoparts store for my Skunk (2 prong I think) and worked fine. Beats a $40 OEM part!

Comment

The generics will work, but if your bike has self-cancelling signals, that feature will no longer work.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          The generics will work, but if your bike has self-cancelling signals, that feature will no longer work.

I've had that "feature" on two bikes. The first, a 78 XS650E, would cancel out while I was sitting in the turn lane waiting. The second, my current GS, quit a couple of years ago. I don't miss it at all. And the GS is my 15th street bike, btw.

Comment

If it cancelled while sitting still, it was definitely malfunctioning.

I have had that "feature" on ALL my bikes except the GS450 and GS650 that my son had, and have not had a problem yet.

The short list of bikes:
            '79 KZ1300
            '84 ZN1300 (Voyager)
            '81 GS850
            '81 GS850
            '82 GS850L
            '00 GL1500 (GoldWing)

About 175,000 total miles (so far) on those bikes with no signal relay problems.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm a little confused I replaced the relay with one I had lying around. The only difference is that it is a three prong versus the two prong that was stock. It plugs in because the plug accepts the three way. Now when I turn the key on they come on but do not flash? any ideas?

Comment

Alright when I fire the bike up all the signal lights are on. When I turn the left signal on it works fine front and rear. When I turn the right on it just stays on and does not blink????

There is an extra black and black/white unconnected wire in the front but there does not seem to be anywhere to plug them in??

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                  Alright when I fire the bike up all the signal lights are on. When I turn the left signal on it works fine front and rear. When I turn the right on it just stays on and does not blink????
                  You have them hooked up right?

Or, is there a bulb out??

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    You have them hooked up right?

Or, is there a bulb out??

All the bulbs light up.....

Comment

All the bulbs light up.....
                      Right but your front bulbs have two filiments. One for running lights one for signals.. If the signal is out, it wont flash.. Not figuring you're dumb or anything, but I didnt know that for a while myself

Also, if you dont have the wires connected right, they wont flash. Gray to gray, (gray is running) Right side signal is green to black, BW to BW. Other side is black to black, gray to gray, BW to BW..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        Right but your front bulbs have two filiments. One for running lights one for signals.. If the signal is out, it wont flash.. Not figuring you're dumb or anything, but I didnt know that for a while myself

Also, if you dont have the wires connected right, they wont flash. Gray to gray, (gray is running) Right side signal is green to black, BW to BW. Other side is black to black, gray to gray, BW to BW..

Got ya..thanks josh, didn't mean to sound short, just running from the computer to the garage, trying to get them working before the Hill Country ride this weekend. I will yank the front bulb and see if one of the filiments is broke...

Comment

Got ya..thanks josh, didn't mean to sound short, just running from the computer to the garage, trying to get them working before the Hill Country ride this weekend. I will yank the front bulb and see if one of the filiments is broke...
                          I know the feeling brother. I have to replace my signals completely before, say, wednesday or thursday and then get some shake down on it before we leave for WV friday morning at the crack of dawn. Its gonna be a bit tight.. we'll see. All of my signals actually worked after the crash, but i kept blowing my signal fuse so the wiring in one of them is likely broken or touching the housing or something.. I dunoo..

Comment

Same problem, when I hit either turn signal they just get brighter but do not flash. The fronts are on all the time when the bike is running but not the rears.... bein a son of a biscuit!

Comment

It's a load issue... had the same thing on my 750 until I got an electronic relay. Exact same symptoms.

You either have the wrong wattage bulbs or the wrong relay.....

Dan
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X